This set of Fluid Mechanics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Gradually Varied Flow(GVF) – 1”.
1. Which of the following assumptions about a GVF is false?
a) Channel is prismatic
b) Pressure distribution is hydrostatic
c) Flow characteristics change with time
d) Roughness co efficient is constant
Explanation: In a GVF, the flow is steady and hence the flow characteristics does not change with time.
2. Calculate the total discharge though a rectangular channel having depth 2m and width 4m if the value of C = 50 and if the slope of the energy line is 0.00004.
a) 1.53 m3/s
b) 2.53 m3/s
c) 3.53 m3/s
d) 4.53 m3/s
3. Calculate Sf for a triangular channel if the depth of the channel is 5m and the side slope is 1H:2V. Given: Q = 5.80 m3/s , C = 40.
4. Calculate the discharge through a trapezoidal channel section if the depth of the channel is 3m and the base width is 3m. Given: C = 30, Sf = 0.0005, A = 12m2.
a) 6.10 m3/s
b) 7.10 m3/s
c) 8.10 m3/s
d) 9.10 m3/s
5. The discharge through a circular channel section having diameter 4m which is running half is 4.35 m3/s and the value of slope of energy line is Sf = 0.0003, calculate the value of C.
9. Calculate the rate of change of specific energy if the bed slope is 1 in 1000 and Sf = 0.00007. 10. Estimate the value of Sf if the value of bed slope is 1 in 800 and and dE⁄dx = 10-3m. Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Fluid Mechanics. To practice all areas of Fluid Mechanics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Explanation: dE⁄dx = S0 – Sf; Sf = 0.00025.
10. Estimate the value of Sf if the value of bed slope is 1 in 800 and and dE⁄dx = 10-3m.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Fluid Mechanics.
To practice all areas of Fluid Mechanics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.