This set of Fermentation Technology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Medium Optimisation”.
1. When more than five variables are to be accessed ______________ design can be used.
Explanation: When more than five variables are to be investigated, the Plackett-Burman design can be used to find the most important variables in the system.
2. The Plackett-Burman method allows the investigation of ________ variables by _____ experiments.
a) x-2, x
b) x-1, x
c) x, x-1
d) x, x-2
Explanation: The Plackett-Burman method allows the investigation of x-1 variables by x experiments, where x must be the multiple of 4. Suppose there are 11 experiments then it allows 10 variables to be assessed.
3. What do H and L denote in Plackett-Burman method?
a) Height and Length
b) High and Low
c) Half and Life
d) Hearing and Listening
Explanation: The H and L in Plackett-Burman method denote High-level value and low-level value of variables in the trials. The high and low values are the values of variables.
4. Who initiated the development of serum-free media?
Explanation: The development of serum-free media was initiated by Ham in 1965 who tried to reduce the amount of serum in media. Serum-free media contains substances that promote cell adherence, growth factors and etc.
5. Animal cells are used for the production of _____________
d) Protein-free media
Explanation: The animal cells are used in the production of Interferons, monoclonal antibodies, and vaccine, and serum-free media. Interferons are produced by a few cells which trigger the immune response.
6. What is the cost of foetal calf serum?
a) US$ 170 dm-3
b) US$ 190 dm-3
c) US$ 195 dm-3
d) US$ 185 dm-3
Explanation: The cost of foetal calf serum is US$ 190 dm-3 in Europe. This makes serum-free media more attractive and economic and cheaper way of carrying out the fermentation.
7. Which of the following is not the replacement in serum-free media?
Explanation: The important replacements in serum-free media are Insulin, Albumin, Transferrin, Ethanolamine, Selenium, and β-mercaptoethanol.
8. Hybridoma Technology is used in the production of __________
a) Polyclonal Antibodies
c) Monoclonal Antibodies
Explanation: Hybridoma Technology is used in the production of Monoclonal Antibodies. They are also called as Identical antibodies as they are made by identical immune cells.
9. Which scientist(s) demonstrated the growth of Chinese Hamster cells in protein-free media?
a) Hamilton and Ham
b) Plackett and Burman
c) Stowe and Mayer
d) Bull and Hicks
Explanation: Hamilton and Ham in 1977 demonstrated the growth of Chinese Hamster cell lines in a protein-free media formulated from vitamins, amino acids, etc.
10. Which of the following is not a trace element?
Explanation: He is not a trace element as it is a noble gas. The trace elements include Ag, Al, Ni, Si, Sn, etc. which are required in small amounts to microorganism.
11. Hepes is a horse serum.
Explanation: Hepes (4-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperazineethanesulfonic acid) is a zwitterionic chemical buffer which is also useful in cell culture. It is not a horse serum.
12. Which of the following provides a protective effect to animal cells?
b) Pluronic F-28
Explanation: Pluronic F-28 provides a protective effect to animal cells in a stirred and sparged vessels. It is also used to suppress foam formation, i.e., also acts as antifoaming agents.
13. Which of the following is an advantage of serum-free protein media?
a) Simple upstream processing
b) Undefined media composition
c) Simple downstream processing
Explanation: The advantage of serum-free protein is that it involves simple downstream processing because the protein content is reduced.
14. The role of the fermentation media is to provide a high amount of nutrients and optimum conditions for the growth of microorganisms.
Explanation: The role of the fermentation media is to provide a high amount of nutrients and optimum conditions so that the microorganisms enjoy luxurious metabolism.
15. Which of the following is downstream processing?
a) Cell breakdown
b) Media formulation
c) Product recovery
d) Product formation
Explanation: The downstream processing includes purification and recovery of products obtained from fermenters. It is used to manufacture antibiotics, antibodies, etc.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Fermentation Technology.
To practice all areas of Fermentation Technology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.