Pre-requisite / Skillset for Fermentation Technology Internship
1. Intern should be able to comprehend the role of microorganisms in fermentation.
2. Must be aware of various fermentation technologies used.
3. Must have knowledge on production of important products through fermentation.
4. Require adequate knowledge on instrumentation and operation of fermenter for aerobic and anaerobic.
5. Integrating biological and engineering principles involved in the production and recovery of commercial products.
6. Critical thinking skills and should know how to employ a quantitative, scientific approach towards conversion of biological materials to value added products.
7. Must be aware of role of microorganisms in fermentation.
8. Must be familiar with the various fermentation technologies used.
9. Should have knowledge on the production of important products through fermentation.
10. Should be aware of use of microorganisms for the production of value added commodities.
11. Must be familiar with the working of a fermentation system.
12. Able to describe key industrial bioprocesses, from the traditional to the recently evolved.
13. Should be capable of integrating biological and engineering principles involved in the production and recovery of commercial products.
14. Should be able to carry out fermentation processes and monitor their progress by measurements and analyses.
15. Must be aware of fermentation microorganisms and (bio) chemical activities and conversions that take place during fermentations, and their impact on quality.
Fermentation Technology Internship Test
Intern has to take Fermentation Technology internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Fermentation Technology topic.
1. The batch culture or fermentation can be used to produce ________
(A) Organic acids
(B) Amino acids
(C) Single Cell Protein
Explanation: The batch culture or fermentation can be used to produce primary metabolites such as antibiotics which help in retarding the growth of bacteria. Organic acids, amino acids, SCP can be prepared by Continuous fermentation.
2. Which of the following is NOT correct for Continuous fermentation?
(A) Setup is not changed from outside once the fermentation has started
(B) Nutrients are added many times
(C) Closer to the natural environment
(D) The small size of fermenters are required
Explanation: In Continuous Fermentation the system is open and therefore the setup can be changed from outside during the fermentation process. The other three options are possible for batch fermentation.
3. The feed solution in fed-batch culture is highly concentrated to _______
(A) avoid dilution of the bioreactor
(B) maintain low cell density in bioreactor
(C) avoid lag phase
(D) increase productivity
Explanation: The feed solution in fed-batch culture is highly concentrated to avoid dilution of the bioreactor and to reach high cell density in a bioreactor.
4. Which of the following method is useful for detection and isolation of those microorganisms which are capable of growing on a particular nutrient medium?
(A) Crowded plate technique
(B) Auxanographic technique
(C) Enrichment Culture technique
(D) Indicator dye technique
Explanation: The Enrichment culture technique is useful for the detection and isolation of those microorganisms which are capable of growing on a particular nutrient medium. For e.g., cellulose producers grow on nutrient medium supplied with cellulose.
5. Which of the following is not the composition of N-agar plates/ slants?
(A) Yeast/Beef extract
Explanation: The nutrient agar plates contain yeast/beef extract, peptone, NaCl and Agar-Agar Powder. Dextrose is constituent of Potato Dextrose Agar.
Practice the full set of Fermentation Technology Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Fermentation Technology Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Fermentation Technology Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!