This set of Engineering Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Progressive Waves”.
1. The ratio of velocity of sound in hydrogen and oxygen at STP is __________
Explanation: vH/vO = √(MO/MH)
2. It takes 2 seconds for a sound wave to travel between two fixed points when the day temperature is 10°C. If the temperature rises to 30°C, the sound wave travels between the same fixed parts in __________
t2/t1 = √(T1/T2)=√((273+10)/(273+30))=√(283/303)
3. The disc of a siren containing 60holes rotates at a constant speed of 360rpm. The emitted sound is in unison with a tuning fork of frequency.
Explanation: Frequency of revolution of disc=360rpm=360/60rps=60rps
Frequency of emitted sound=6×No.of holes
4. The quantity which does not change, when sound enters from one medium to another __________
Explanation: Frequency remains unchanged when sound travels from one medium to another.
5. The equation of a simple harmonic wave is given by
Where x and y are in metre and time is in second. The period of the wave in second will be __________
Explanation: y=5sin(π/2) (100t-x)
6. If wave y=Acos(ωt+kx) Is moving along x-axis, the shapes of a pulse at t=0 and t=2s.
a) Are different
b) Are same
c) May not be the same
Explanation: The shapes of y-x graph remains the same at t=0 and t=2s.
7. y1=4sin(ωt+kx), y2=-4cos(ωt+kx), the phase difference is __________
8. A wave equation is y=0.1sin[100πt-kx] and wave velocity is 100m/s, its number is equal to __________
9. A particle on the trough of a wave at any instant will come to the mean position after a time (T=time period).
Explanation: Time taken by a particle to move from trough to the mean position=T/4.
10. A string is tied on a sonometer, second end is hanging downward through a pulley with tension T. The velocity of the transverse wave produced is proportional to __________
11. The fundamental frequency of a sonometer wire is n. If the tension is made 3 times and length and diameter are also increased 3 times, the new frequency will be __________
d) √3 n
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Physics.
To practice all areas of Engineering Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.