This set of Engineering Drawing Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Lines, Lettering and Dimensioning – 1”.
1. Which of the following dimensioning is correct?
Explanation: In the parallel dimensioning smaller dimensions should be nearer to the view and the larger one away from the view. Extension lines should not cross dimension line and dimension should be placed outside the figure.
2. Find the incorrect dimensioning rule from the following.
a) No need for unnecessary dimensions
b) Dimension lines should not be crossed
c) Dimensioning can be done anywhere in the drawing
d) Hidden lines need no dimensions
Explanation: Dimensioning should be outside the figure unless and until they are more clear and easily read from inside. In most of the cases, dimensions are placed outside the outline of the drawings.
3. Which of the following is incorrect for the unidirectional method of dimensioning?
a) Horizontal dimension lines are not broken to place dimensions
b) Non-horizontal lines are broken in the middle for placing dimensions
c) Convenient to read dimensions from the right-hand side of the drawing
d) Preferably used on a large drawing
Explanation: Uni-directional system for dimensioning is used in aircraft, automobiles which are large complex drawing, where it is inconvenient to read the dimensions from the right-hand side. They are placed in such a way it is read from the bottom side of the drawings.
4. Construction lines are continuous thick lines.
Explanation: Construction lines are used in order to help for the construction of drawings are shown only in geometrical drawings. Hence they are represented by continuous thin light lines.
5. Which of the following is incorrect for Lettering of an engineering drawing?
a) Upper-case letters are mainly used for lettering
b) Lettering type A is preferred
c) Inclined letters are right inclined with 75° slope with horizontal
d) Guidelines are drawn to obtain a uniform height of letters and numerals
Explanation: In type A upper-case letter is divided into 14 parts, whereas in type B, a letter is divided into 10 parts which make it easy to apply. Hence lettering type B is preferred over type A.
6. Which of the following is true for single stroke inclined lettering?
a) Left inclined with slope 15°
b) Right inclined with slope 15°
c) Right inclined with slope 75°
d) Left inclined with slope -75°
Explanation: As per BIS (IS: 9609-2001), single-stroke letters are used in lettering, single-stroke inclined letterings are right inclined and slope with respect to X-axis/horizontal line is 75°.
7. Match the following.
|A) Continuous thin line||i) Limits of interrupted views and sections|
|B) Continuous thin freehand line||ii) Visible edges and outlines|
|C) Continuous thick line||iii) Shows permissible of surface treatment|
|D) Dashed thick line||iv) Projection, dimensioning and short center|
a) A-ii, B-i, C-iv, D-iii
b) A-i, B-iv, C-ii, D-iii
c) A-iv, B-i, C-ii, D-iii
d) A-iii, B-i, C-ii, D-iv
Explanation: Continuous thin line is generally used to indicate projection, dimensioning and short center. The continuous thin freehand line is generally used to indicate limits of interrupted views and sections. The continuous thick line is generally used to indicate visible edges and outlines. A dashed thick line is used to indicate permissible surface treatment.
8. Which of the following is true in case of Lettering type A, where d is the thickness of the line and h is the height of capitals?
a) d = h/12
b) d = h/13
c) d = h/14
d) d = h/10
Explanation: As per the height of the letters, when the capital letter is divided into 14 parts it is said to be lettering type A. In this type of lettering ratio of the thickness of the line used for lettering to the height of the capital letter is 1:14.
9. Which of the following is true in case of Lettering type B, where d, is the thickness of the line and h, is the height of capitals?
a) d= h/12
Explanation: As per the height of the letters, when the capital letter is divided into 10 parts it is said to be lettering type B. In this type of lettering ratio of the thickness of the line used for lettering to the height of the capital letter is 1:10.
10. Which of the following statement is incorrect in case of aligned dimensioning method?
a) Mostly aligned system of is suggested dimensioning
b) Dimension is placed in such a way that they are read from bottom or right-hand edge
c) The dimension should be placed within 30° zone of the vertical center
d) The dimension should be placed in the middle or on the top of the dimension line
Explanation: In the aligned system of dimensioning the dimensions should not be placed within the 30° zone of the vertical center, they need to be clear and readable, the shape of drawing should be clear.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Drawing.
To practice all areas of Engineering Drawing, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Engineering Drawing
- Participate in Engineering Drawing Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Engineering Drawing
- Take Engineering Drawing Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10