Energy Management Questions and Answers – Water Resources

This set of Energy & Environment Management Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Water Resources”.

1. Which is the first state in India to make roof top rain water harvesting compulsory to all the houses?
a) Tamil Nadu
b) Kerala
c) Assam
d) Goa
View Answer

Answer: a
Explanation: Tamil Nadu is the first state in India which has made roof top rain water harvesting structure compulsory to all the houses across the state. If anyone failed to obey this, there are legal provisions to punish the defaulters. This method helps to save rain water.

2. The name given to the diversion channels of the western Himalayas is__________________
a) Phalodi
b) Johads
c) Guls or Kuls
d) Khadins
View Answer

Answer: c
Explanation: The diversions channels of the western Himalaya is known as Guls or Kuls. In hills and mountains, people built diversion channels for irrigational purposes, which are called Guls and Kuls. It is mainly used in the western Himalayas for harvesting water.

3. What is Palar pani?
a) Spring
b) Milk
c) River water
d) Rain water
View Answer

Answer: d
Explanation: Palar Pani is the commonly used name for rain water. This term is mainly used in Rajasthan. In Rajasthan Palar Pani means “Meetha Panni” which mainly stored and used for household works like working and drinking.
advertisement
advertisement

4. Mattur dam is located across Krishna river.
a) True
b) False
View Answer

Answer: b
Explanation: Mettur dam which is the largest dam in Tamil Nadu located across Cauvery river. This Mettur dam provides irrigation and drinking water facilities for more than 10 districts of Tamil Nadu. Hence it plays a vital role in the farmers life.

5. Which of the following is the major source of fresh water which is available in India?
a) Ocean water
b) River water
c) Pond water
d) Ground water
View Answer

Answer: d
Explanation: Ground water is the major source of fresh water in India. Ground water can’t see or can’t access easily. The important role of ground water sources play in the water cycle is that they are the primary sources for human consumption.

6. Narmada Bachao Andolan is related to____________
a) Tehri
b) Bhakra Nangal
c) Sardar Sarovar
d) Rihand
View Answer

Answer: c
Explanation: Narmada Bachao Andolan is a social movement against the large dams built across the Narmada river at Sardar Sarovar dam in Gujarat. Sardar Sarovar dam is the first focal point of the movement.

7. At what time usually rainfall is recorded in India?
a) 4 P.M.
b) 6 P.M.
c) 8 P.M.
d) 10 P.M.
View Answer

Answer: c
Explanation: We can record the amount of rainfall by the device called as a rain gauge. The usual time of recording for rainfall is 8 A.M in Indian time. Different countries have different rainfall recording timings. The some total of all the measurements during the previous 24 hours is register at 8 A.M in the morning.
advertisement

8. The total surface of water in the earth surface is_________________
a) 65%
b) 69%
c) 71%
d) 75%
View Answer

Answer: c
Explanation: The total surface of the water in the earth surface is 71%, while the other 29% consists of Continents and Islands. The oceans hold about 96.5% of all Earth’s water. The remaining 3.5% of water is stored in other water bodies.

9. Which planet is also known as blue planet?
a) Mercury
b) Venus
c) Earth
d) Mars
View Answer

Answer: c
Explanation: About 71% of the earth’s surface is covered in water, which appears blue from space. Earth is known as blue planet because of its blue visibility when we see it from outer space. No other planet is having such a large amount of water this is also the reason for its blue color.
advertisement

10. The rank of India in terms of water availability per person p.a in the world is_______________
a) 130th
b) 131st
c) 132nd
d) 133rd
View Answer

Answer: d
Explanation: The per capita water availability in the country is reducing due to the increase in population. According to 2011 census, the average annual per capita availability of water in the country is 1545 cubic meters.

11. Krishna Raja Sagara is a dam built on river Kaveri.
a) True
b) False
View Answer

Answer: a
Explanation: Krishna Raja Sagara was popularly known as KRS. The kind of dam built is gravity dam. This dam is situated in Karnataka. The total surface area of the dam is 129 km2. The water released from KRS dam flows to Mettur dam which is in Tamil Nadu district.

12. Ground water is accessed by______________
a) Drilling wells
b) Drip irrigation
c) Check bunds
d) Constructing canals
View Answer

Answer: a
Explanation: Ground water is commonly accessed either through a bore or well. A well is a vertical shaft which is dug into the ground. In order to drill a well we need to have a permission from the government. Government provide ‘take and use license’ in most cases.

Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Energy & Environment Management.

To practice all areas of Energy & Environment Management, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.

If you find a mistake in question / option / answer, kindly take a screenshot and email to [email protected]

advertisement
advertisement
Subscribe to our Newsletters (Subject-wise). Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!

Youtube | Telegram | LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Manish Bhojasia - Founder & CTO at Sanfoundry
Manish Bhojasia, a technology veteran with 20+ years @ Cisco & Wipro, is Founder and CTO at Sanfoundry. He lives in Bangalore, and focuses on development of Linux Kernel, SAN Technologies, Advanced C, Data Structures & Alogrithms. Stay connected with him at LinkedIn.

Subscribe to his free Masterclasses at Youtube & discussions at Telegram SanfoundryClasses.