This set of Electronic Devices and Circuits Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Half-Wave Rectifier”.
1. The diode in a half wave rectifier has a forward resistance RF. The voltage is Vmsinωt and the load resistance is RL. The DC current is given by _________
Explanation: For a half wave rectifier, the IDC=IAVG=Im/π
Im =Vm/ RF+RL So, IDC=Im/π=Vm/(RF+RL).
Explanation: The given op-amp is in inverting mode and this makes the output voltage to have a phase shift of 180°. The output voltage is now negative. So, the diode 1 is reverse biased and diode 2 is forward biased. Then output is clearly zero.
Explanation: When the input of the inverted mode op-amp is positive, the output is negative.
The diode is reverse biased. The input appears at the output.
4. In a half wave rectifier, the sine wave input is 50sin50t. If the load resistance is of 1K, then average DC power output will be?
Explanation: The standard form of a sine wave is Vmsinωt. BY comparing the given information with this equation, Vm =50.
5. In a half wave rectifier, the sine wave input is 200sin300t. The average value of output voltage is?
Explanation: Comparing with the standard equation, Vm=200V.
Average value is given by, Vavg=Vm/π.
6. Efficiency of a half wave rectifier is
Explanation: Efficiency of a rectifier is the effectiveness to convert AC to DC. For half wave it’s 40.6%. It’s given by, Vout/Vin*100.
7. If peak voltage for a half wave rectifier circuit is 5V and diode cut in voltage is 0.7, then peak inverse voltage on diode will be?
Explanation: PIV is the maximum reverse bias voltage that can be appeared across a diode in the given circuit, If the PIV rating is less than this value of breakdown of diode will occur. For a rectifier, PIV=Vm-Vd=5-0.7=4.3V.
8. Transformer utilisation factor of a half wave rectifier is _________
Explanation: Transformer utilisation factor is the ratio of AC power delivered to load to the DC power rating. This factor indicates effectiveness of transformer usage by rectifier. For a half wave rectifier, it’s low and equal to 0.287.
9. If the input frequency of a half wave rectifier is 100Hz, then the ripple frequency will be_________
Explanation: The ripple frequency of the output and input is same. This is because, one half cycle of input is passed and other half cycle is seized. So, effectively the frequency is the same.
10. Ripple factor of a half wave rectifier is_________(Im is the peak current and RL is load resistance)
Explanation: The ripple factor of a rectifier is the measure of disturbances produced in the output. It’s the effectiveness of a power supply filter to reduce the ripple voltage. The ratio of ripple voltage to DC output voltage is ripple factor which is 1.21.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Electronic Devices and Circuits.
To practice all areas of Electronic Devices and Circuits, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.