This set of Electric Drives test focuses on “Electric Traction Services”.
1. Electric trains are of two types.
Explanation: Mainline trains and suburban trains are the two types of trains. They run on fixed rails. They are powered by electricity.
2. The shape of pantograph collector is _________________
Explanation: The shape of the pantograph collector is a pentagon. It has a conducting strip which is pressed against contact wire with the help of springs.
3. There are typically three types of pantograph.
Explanation: Open frame, faiveley, crossed arm are typically three types of the pantograph. The function of the pantograph is to maintain pressure and prevent vertical vibrations.
4. Full form of EMU is ____________
a) Electronics Multiple Unit
b) Electrical Multiple Unit
c) Electrical Multiple Usage
d) Electrical Multiple User
Explanation: Full form of EMU is Electrical Multiple Unit. The trains having motor coaches and trailer coaches are known as EMU trains. They provide flexibility.
5. Who is known as the Father of Indian Railways?
a) Lord Dalhousie
b) Lord Ripon
c) Lord Boult
d) Lord Hero
Explanation: Lord Dalhousie is known as the father of the Indian Railways. The first railway line connecting Bombay with Thane was laid in 1853.
6. Who built the first train?
c) Richard Trevithick
d) John Carry
Explanation: Richard Trevithick built the first train in 1804. It was a steam locomotive train that used to carry 10 tonnes of iron from one place to another.
7. Who built the first bullet train?
a) Hideo Rampa
b) Hideo Shima
c) Hideo Carry
d) Hideo Stokes
Explanation: Hideo Shima built the first bullet train. He was a Japenese engineer. He was born in 1901 and died in 1998. He was the man behind the concept of a bullet train.
8. The supply conductor in electric trains is also known as ____________
a) Contact Wire
b) Contact Distance
c) Contact Direction
d) Supply Wire
Explanation: The supply conductor in electric trains is also known as Contact wire. Driving motor and power modulators are housed in the locomotive.
9. Calculate the value measured by PMMC when a sinusoidal voltage signal is applied to it.
a) 15 V
b) 0 V
c) 16 V
d) 18 V
Explanation: PMMC instrument measures the average of the input signal. The sinusoidal voltage signal is symmetric about the origin. The average value measured by PMMC is zero.
10. Calculate the value measured by Moving Iron when a sinusoidal voltage signal V(t)=20sin(ωt) is applied to it.
a) 14.14 V
b) 20.15 V
c) 16.18 V
d) 22.18 V
Explanation: Moving iron instrument measures the r.m.s value of the input signal. The r.m.s value of the sinusoidal signal is 20÷√2=14.14 V.
11. Full form of PMMC is ____________
a) Permanent Magnet Moving Coil
b) Premature Magnet Moving Coil
c) Permanent Magnet Motion Coil
d) Peterson Magnet Motion Coil
Explanation: Full form of PMMC is Permanent Magnet Moving Coil. It measures the average value of the applied input signal.
12. Fuel used in the train is ___________
Explanation: Fuel used in the train is Diesel. Diesel fuel in trains provides more efficiency and more economy. It is more economical than air travel.
13. How much fuel does a train use per Km?
a) 7.85 L/Km
b) 7.97 L/Km
c) 6.59 L/Km
d) 7.15 L/Km
Explanation: The average fuel consumed by a train is 7.97 L/Km. Consumption is the same for passenger and cargo trains.
14. Which motor is used in the Electric train?
a) DC shunt motor
b) DC series motor
c) Synchronous motor
d) Stepper motor
Explanation: DC series motor is used in Electric train. They provide a high starting torque. DC series motor is a universal motor that can run on DC as well as on AC.
15. Calculate the minimum time period for ASCI using the data: R=1 kΩ, C=1 μF.
a) 4 msec
b) 8 msec
c) 5 msec
d) 3 msec
Explanation: The minimum time period for ASCI is a 4×R×C = 4×1×1×.001 = 4 msec. The total time is the sum of charging and discharging time.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Electric Drives.
To practice all areas of Electric Drives for tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Apply for Electronics & Communication Engineering Internship
- Apply for Electrical Drives Internship
- Practice Electronics & Communication Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Electrical Engineering Internship
- Buy Electrical Drives Books