This set of Electric Circuits Interview Questions and Answers for freshers focuses on “Measuring Resistance the Wheatstone Bridge and Delta-to-Wye (Pi-to-Tee) Equivalent Circuits”.
1. The Wheatstone Bridge is mainly used to measure ______________
c) Node potentials
Explanation: Resistances can be measured by various methods. Wheatstone bridge is one such method. In this method resistances in the range of 1Ω to 1 MΩ can be measured.
Explanation: The relation is P/Q=R/S or PS=QR.
Explanation: A/B=C/D. Using this D= 10.2Ω.
4. Lower resistances are difficult to measure using Wheatstone bridge circuit because of ____________
a) Leakage currents
b) I2R effects
c) Power dissipation
d) Thermal breakdown
Explanation: A standard Wheatstone bridge couldn’t measure lower resistances because of thermoelectric voltages which are generated at the junctions of the dissimilar metals and also because of thermal heating effects- that is, i2R effects.
5. If P/Q=1, unknown resistance S=1000Ω and R could be varied from 0 to 100Ω then the bridge could be ___________
a) A balanced circuit
b) A rectified circuit
c) An unbalanced circuit
d) An identical circuit
Explanation: P/Q=R/S. If P/Q=1 then according to given range of R and S, the bridge circuit could never be a balanced one.
6. The other name for Delta connection is ___________
a) Star connection
b) Pi connection
c) T connection
d) Y connection
Explanation: Delta connection is also known as Pi connection because the ∆ can be shaped into π without disturbing the electrical equivalence of both the structures.
7. Star connection can also be called as Y (or) T connection.
Explanation: Star connection can also be called as Y (or) T connection because the star can be shaped into Y or T without disturbing the electrical equivalence of both the structures.
8. If R2 = RC RA / (RA +RB +RC ) then R3 equals?
a) RA RB / (RA +RB +RC )
b) RC RA / (RA +RB +RC )
c) RB RC / (RA +RB +RC )
d) RX RA / (RA +RB +RC )
Explanation: R3 = RA RB / (RA +RB +RC ).
a) Ra=5Ω, Rb = 4.5Ω, Rc=4.67Ω
b) Ra=4Ω, Rb=4.30Ω, Rc=4.66Ω
c) Ra=3Ω, Rb=4Ω, Rc =5Ω
d) Ra=5.2Ω, Rb=4.2Ω, Rc =4.89Ω
Explanation: By using the standard formulae the delta circuit can be converted into star circuit.
Explanation: By converting the star circuits into the delta and then measuring the equivalent resistance, voltage value can be calculated using this resistance and the given current value.
Explanation: Conversion of given network into delta gives the resistances.
After that sum of the resistances equals 122.5Ω.
12. The star and delta networks would be electrically equal if resistances measured between any pair of terminals __________
a) Is different
b) Greater in star
c) Greater in delta
d) Is equal
Explanation: The star and delta networks would be electrically equal if a resistance measured between any pair of terminals is same.
13. A Wheatstone bridge is balanced when the galvanometer shows __________ reading.
Explanation: A Wheatstone bridge is balanced when the galvanometer shows 0A reading when resistors obey P/Q=R/S.
14. __________ are difficult to measure using Wheatstone bridge.
a) Higher resistances
c) Lower resistances
Explanation: Specifically Kelvin Bridge is used for measuring lower resistances.
Explanation: Resistance between B and C = 2+4+ ((2*4)/3).
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Electric Circuits.
To practice all areas of Electric Circuits for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.