Pre-requisite / Skillset for Design of Steel Structures Internship
1. Intern must possess knowledge of Steel Structures.
2. Must be familiar with concepts of Bolted and Welded connections.
3. Should be familiar with concepts like design of compression members, built-up columns and columns splices.
4. Concepts of design of tension members, simple slab base and gusseted base should be known.
5. Must be aware of concept of design of laterally supported and un-supported steel beams.
6. Should be aware of advantages and disadvantages of steel structures, steel code provisions and plastic behaviour of structural steel.
7. Intern should have knowledge on limit state design of structural steel members subjected to compressive, tensile and bending loads, including connections.
8. Should be aware of design of compression members, built-up columns and columns splices.
9. Should be aware of specific problems related to the design of laterally restrained and unrestrained steel beams.
10. Must be familiar with design of laterally supported and un-supported steel beams.
11. Should be aware of various design philosophies.
12. Ability to design structural systems such as roof trusses, gantry girders as per provisions of current code (IS 800-2007) of practice for working stress and limit state method.
13. Ability to design tension members and understand the effect of shear lag.
14. Must have knowledge on the design concept of axially loaded columns and column base connections.
Design of Steel Structures Internship Test
Intern has to take Design of Steel Structures internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Design of Steel Structures topic.
1. Chrome and Nickel are added to Steel to improve _________
(A) corrosion resistance and high temperature resistance
Explanation: Steel is weak in fire and corrosion resistance. So, to improve corrosion resistance and high temperature resistance, chromium and nickel are added to steel.
2. What is weathering steel?
(A) low-alloy atmospheric corrosion-resistant steel
(B) low-carbon steel
(C) high strength quenched and tempered steel
(D) fire resistant steel
Explanation: Weathering steel are low-alloy atmospheric corrosion-resistant steel. They are often left unpainted. They have an ultimate tensile strength of 480 MPa.
3. Which of the following is not a main element of framed structure?
(C) Shear connector
(D) Lattice member
Explanation: For framed structure, the main elements are beam, column, beam-column, tie and lattice members.
4. The partial factor of safety for resistance governed by ultimate strength is :
Explanation: Partial factor of safety for resistance governed by ultimate strength is 1.25. Factors affecting ultimate strength are stability, fatigue and plastic collapse. The loads are multiplied or resistances are divided by this factor to get design values.
5. Which of the following is not included in imposed load classification?
(A) Residential load
(B) Earthquake load
(C) Industrial load
(D) Educational load
Explanation: Imposed loads are gravity loads other than dead load and cover factors such as occupancy by people, stored material etc. It is classified into following groups : (i)residential, (ii)educational, (iii)institutional, (iv)assembly halls, (v)office and business buildings, (vi)mercantile buildings, (vii)industrial, (viii)storage buildings.
Practice the full set of Design of Steel Structures Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Design of Steel Structures Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Design of Steel Structures Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Design of Steel Structures Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Design of Steel Structures, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Design of Steel Structures subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Design of Steel Structures".
2. Design of Steel Structures articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Design of Steel Structures Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Design of Steel Structures Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Design of Steel Structures Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Design of Steel Structures" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Design of Steel Structures InternshipIf you are looking for "Design of Steel Structures" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Design of Steel Structures, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Design of Steel Structures InternshipWho can apply for Design of Steel Structures content writing internship?
Students who had studied Design of Steel Structures in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Design of Steel Structures.
What are the skill sets required for Design of Steel Structures internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Design of Steel Structures internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Design of Steel Structures Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Design of Steel Structures?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Design of Steel Structures?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Design of Steel Structures. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Design of Steel Structures internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Design of Steel Structures at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
We don't have the required operational setup to work with international students. So, we cannot offer internships to international students at this point in time.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]