This set of Design of Electrical Machines Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Construction of Electromagnets”.
1. What type of core does the electromagnetic consist of?
d) paramagnetic and diamagnetic
Explanation: Electromagnets consists of a ferromagnetic core. It carries the flux and a winding which produces a flux when excited by an external source.
2. What material is used for the construction of core of electromagnets?
a) soft magnetic materials
b) hard magnetic materials
c) non-magnetic materials
d) anti-ferromagnetic materials
Explanation: The electromagnets consist of ferromagnetic core. The soft magnetic materials are made use of in the construction of core of electromagnets.
3. What are the ferromagnetic elements used in the electromagnets?
d) iron, nickel, cobalt
Explanation: The electromagnets consist of ferromagnetic core. The ferromagnetic materials include iron. nickel and cobalt.
4. What are the non-magnetic materials being used in the electromagnets?
c) silicon, chromium, molybdenum
Explanation: The electromagnets consists of the ferromagnetic core. Some times the non-ferro-magnetic materials are being made use of like silicon, chromium and molybdenum.
5. Coils are being made use of in electromagnets as an exciting source for production of magnetic field?
Explanation: The coils are being made use of in electromagnets. They are used as an exciting source for the production of magnetic field.
6. What is the insulation material being used in the electromagnets?
Explanation: Insulation material is being used in between the coils of the electromagnet to provide insulation. The material used in the electromagnet is paper.
7. What is the conductor material being used in the electromagnet?
Explanation: Conductor materials are being used in the electromagnet to conduct the current in the electromagnet. Copper is the material used in the electromagnet.
8. What type of conductors are being used in the coils made of heavy wire?
Explanation: The cross-section of coils is generally rectangular and the cross-section of conductors is usually rounded. The coils made of heavy wires, rectangular conductors with rounded corners are used.
9. The coil insulation used in the electromagnets is of sheet form?
Explanation: Insulation material used in the machine is usually paper. The insulation is arranged in the form of sheets.
10. What materials are used along with paper for insulation?
c) synthetic resin
d) varnish, glass, synthetic resin
Explanation: The insulation used in the electromagnets is paper. It is being insulated along with the varnish, glass and synthetic resin and treated into form of sheets to form proper insulation.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Design of Electrical Machines.
To practice all areas of Design of Electrical Machines, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.