Pre-requisite / Skillset for DC Machines Internship
1. Intern must have basic knowledge on concepts of excitation and characteristics of electrical Machines.
2. Should be capable of applying the testing methods on DC and Synchronous Machines.
3. Should be able to analyze the methods of speed control of DC Machines.
4. Ability to evaluate the performance of DC and Synchronous Machines.
5. Must be familiar with the construction and working principle of DC generator and various method of improving commutation.
6. Should be capable of describing the construction, working principle and characteristics of DC motor.
7. Must be aware of various method of starting and braking of DC motor.
DC Machines Internship Test
Intern has to take DC Machines internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the DC Machines topic.
1. The armature of DC motor is laminated to ____________
(A) To reduce mass
(B) To reduce hysteresis loss
(C) To reduce eddy current loss
(D) To reduce inductance
Explanation: The armature is built up in a cylindrical or drum shape high grade silicon steel in form of lamination. By using laminations, the circular path of eddy currents is terminated. Hence heating and ultimately damage to the armature can be reduced by lamination.
2. For which of the following operations a DC motor is preferred over an AC motor?
(A) Low speed operation
(B) High speed operation
(C) Variable speed operation
(D) Fixed speed operation
Explanation: Due to the various speed control techniques available and with the help of electrical brakes various speed levels can be obtained in DC motor. While in AC motor for same purpose we require frequency change which requires another complex circuitry.
3. How total number of brushes in a commutator are determined in a given DC machine?
(A) Speed of armature
(B) Type of winding
(D) Amount of current to be collected
Explanation: Brushes are in contact with rotating part and stationary part. Thus, if more amount of current is to be carried, it requires more number of brushes. Hence brush number depends directly on the amount of current that needs to be collected and fed up in or out.
4. DC generators are disconnected/connected from/to the busbars only under the floating condition because ____________
(A) To avoid sudden loading of the prime mover
(B) To avoid burning of all switch contacts
(C) To avoid mechanical jerk to the shaft
(D) To avoid sudden loading of the prime mover, burning of all switch contacts and avoid mechanical jerking to the shaft
Explanation: Brushes are the medium between rotating and non-rotating part of the DC machine. If sudden change in connections are done, whole machine undergoes change in all electrical quantities, which may damage machine. Thus, machines are connected and disconnected only at floating condition.
5. If higher terminal voltage is applied to PMDC what will happen?
(A) Speed at 0 torque will be reduced
(B) Torque at 0 speed will be reduced
(C) Torque at 0 speed will be increased
(D) Torque will remain constant
Explanation: The straight-line characteristic of PMDC is such that it produces positive intercepts on both axes. If terminal voltage is increased both of these intercepts increases, slope remaining constant. Thus, speed and torque at initial conditions both will increase.
Practice the full set of DC Machines Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the DC Machines Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the DC Machines Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. DC Machines Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for DC Machines, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on DC Machines subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "DC Machines".
2. DC Machines articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. DC Machines Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. DC Machines Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. DC Machines Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "DC Machines" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for DC Machines InternshipIf you are looking for "DC Machines" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in DC Machines, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - DC Machines InternshipWho can apply for DC Machines content writing internship?
Students who had studied DC Machines in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on DC Machines.
What are the skill sets required for DC Machines internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for DC Machines internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for DC Machines Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on DC Machines?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on DC Machines?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in DC Machines. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for DC Machines internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in DC Machines at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
If you are an international student and have a bank account in India, then you can apply. Kindly note that we are currently not authorized to pay the stipend in foreign currencies, so you must have bank accounts in India to receive the stipend.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]