This set of Data Structure Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Queue Operations”.
1. A linear list of elements in which deletion can be done from one end (front) and insertion can take place only at the other end (rear) is known as _____________
d) Linked list
Explanation: Linear list of elements in which deletion is done at front side and insertion at rear side is called Queue. In stack we will delete the last entered element first.
2. The data structure required for Breadth First Traversal on a graph is?
Explanation: In Breadth First Search Traversal, BFS, starting vertex is first taken and adjacent vertices which are unvisited are also taken. Again, the first vertex which was added as an unvisited adjacent vertex list will be considered to add further unvisited vertices of the graph. To get the first unvisited vertex we need to follows First In First Out principle. Queue uses FIFO principle.
3. A queue follows __________
a) FIFO (First In First Out) principle
b) LIFO (Last In First Out) principle
c) Ordered array
d) Linear tree
Explanation: Element first added in queue will be deleted first which is FIFO principle.
4. Circular Queue is also known as ________
a) Ring Buffer
b) Square Buffer
c) Rectangle Buffer
d) Curve Buffer
Explanation: Circular Queue is also called as Ring Buffer. Circular Queue is a linear data structure in which last position is connected back to the first position to make a circle. It forms a ring structure.
5. If the elements “A”, “B”, “C” and “D” are placed in a queue and are deleted one at a time, in what order will they be removed?
Explanation: Queue follows FIFO approach. i.e. First in First Out Approach. So, the order of removal elements are ABCD.
6. A data structure in which elements can be inserted or deleted at/from both ends but not in the middle is?
b) Circular queue
d) Priority queue
Explanation: In dequeuer, we can insert or delete elements from both the ends. In queue, we will follow first in first out principle for insertion and deletion of elements. Element with least priority will be deleted in a priority queue.
7. A normal queue, if implemented using an array of size MAX_SIZE, gets full when?
a) Rear = MAX_SIZE – 1
b) Front = (rear + 1)mod MAX_SIZE
c) Front = rear + 1
d) Rear = front
Explanation: When Rear = MAX_SIZE – 1, there will be no space left for the elements to be added in queue. Thus queue becomes full.
8. Queues serve major role in ______________
a) Simulation of recursion
b) Simulation of arbitrary linked list
c) Simulation of limited resource allocation
d) Simulation of heap sort
Explanation: Simulation of recursion uses stack data structure. Simulation of arbitrary linked lists uses linked lists. Simulation of resource allocation uses queue as first entered data needs to be given first priority during resource allocation. Simulation of heap sort uses heap data structure.
9. Which of the following is not the type of queue?
a) Ordinary queue
b) Single ended queue
c) Circular queue
d) Priority queue
Explanation: Queue always has two ends. So, single ended queue is not the type of queue.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Data Structure.
To practice all areas of Data Structure, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Data Structure I
- Participate in Data Structure I Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Data Structure I
- Take Data Structure I Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Design & Analysis of Algorithms MCQ
- Practice Programming MCQs
- Buy Programming Books
- Buy Data Structure Books
- Apply for Computer Science Internship