This set of Cryptography Questions & Answers for campus interviews focuses on “Whirlpool Algorithm”.
1. Mix Row functions operate on the 8 × 8 matrix (A) to form the new matrix. The operation can be considered to be B = AC. The matrix C is formed by
a) each successive even row having left shifts
b) each successive row having a left shifts
c) each successive odd row having right shifts
d) each successive row having a right shifts
Explanation: The matrix C is formed by each successive row having right shifts.
2. Which of the following hexadecimal values are not present in the matrix C of the Mix Rows function?
Explanation: 03 is not a valid value in matrix C.
3. There’s no known successful attacks made against Whirlpool.
Explanation: The reason for this is because the Whirlpool algorithm is a new algorithm and hasn’t been used very much.
4. Which hash algorithm is the most hardware intensive among the following?
5. Which algorithm has the most execution latency?
Explanation: Whirlpool has the lowest latency. Latency is defined by the number of iteration rounds. SHA-2 has 80 rounds, whereas Whirlpool has 10.
6. Which among the following has not been broken yet( still collision free)?
Explanation: SHA-2 has not yet been broken, but since SHA-1 has been found to be not collision free (and SHA-2 has the same logic as SHA-1), SHA-3 algorithm was developed and officialised in 2012.
7. Before the first round of the Whirlpool algorithm, which is the operation that takes place?
a) Addition of Key
b) Substitution of Bytes
c) Mixing of Rows
d) Shifting of Columns
Explanation: Before the first round of the Whirlpool algorithm, addition of key round takes place.
8. How many rounds does the Whirlpool algorithm undergo?
Explanation: There are 10 rounds in the algorithm.
9. Each round uses a different key in the algorithm.
Explanation: Whirlpool produces keys for each round using the same algorithm itself. Keys are updated per round.
10. What is the size of the key in the algorithm?
a) 256 bits
b) 512 bits
c) 128 bits
d) 1024 bits
Explanation: The size of the key is 512 bits.
11. How many add round key functions are present in the Whirlpool algorithm?
Explanation: There are 11 round key addition functions in the Whirlpool algorithm. One key addition per round. One key addition before the 1st round.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Cryptography and Network Security.
To practice all areas of Cryptography for campus interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.