This set of Concrete Technology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Source of Aggregates”.
1. Natural aggregates comes in which category?
a) Based on size
b) Based on origin
c) Based on density
d) Based on shape
Explanation: The word natural itself says that it comes from nature which comes in origin. And there are 2 types of aggregates in based on origin i.e. natural and artificial aggregates.
2. Generally rounded aggregates are the example of natural aggregates. Is this statement true or false?
Explanation: Natural aggregate are those from the river beds, river sand and ex-mines. They are generally normally rounded in shape and have smooth surface texture.
3. What are artificial aggregates?
a) Those who obtained from river beds
b) Those who are manufactured naturally
c) Those who are mechanically obtained
d) Who has smooth surface
Explanation: Artificial aggregate are those obtained by mechanically crushing rocks, boulders, or cobbles. Normally angular in shape and have rough surface texture.
4. The bulk density of aggregates does not depend upon ____________
a) Size and shape of aggregates
b) Specific gravity of aggregates
c) Grading of aggregates
d) Size and shape of the container
Explanation: Bulk density is depends on the properties of the aggregates not of the container. Size, shape, Specific gravity, grading are the properties of aggregates.
5. An aggregate is said to be flaky if its least dimension is less than ___________
a) 1/5th of mean dimension
b) 2/5th of mean dimension
c) 3/5th of mean dimension
d) 4/5th of mean dimension
Explanation: An aggregate is said to be flaky if its least dimension is less than 3/5th of mean dimension.
6. The light weight aggregates are obtained from
a) Sedimentary rocks
b) Metamorphic rocks
c) Igneous rocks
d) Volcanic source
Explanation: For making light weight masonry blocks (to improved their thermal and insulating properties and nailing characteristic).
7. The standard sand now a days used in India, is obtained from
a) Ennore (Madras)
c) Jullundur (Punjab)
Explanation: Most of the people are used Ennore sand for its good strength and other properties.
8. For the construction of cement concrete floor, the maximum permissible size of aggregate, is
Explanation: 40 mm for massive works like dams, retaining walls, etc. 20 mm for Reinforced member. 10 mm for floors.
9. Generally angular aggregates are the example of natural aggregates. Is this statement true or false?
Explanation: Artificial aggregates obtained by mechanically crushing rocks, boulders, or cobbles. Normally angular in shape and have rough surface texture.
10. Generally heavy weight aggregate obtained from ______________
a) Minerals ores
b) Palm oil shell
d) Crushed stone
Explanation: The unit weight of heavy weight concrete varies from 2400kg/m3 with sp.gr range from 4.0to4.6 (mineral ores and barite).
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Concrete Technology.
To practice all areas of Concrete Technology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.