This set of Concrete Technology Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Factors Affecting Creep and Elasticity”.
1. The __________ the aggregate, the ________ is the magnitude of creep.
a) Stronger, more
b) Weaker, more
c) Stronger, less
d) Weaker, less
Explanation: The stronger the aggregate the more is the restraining effect and hence the less is the magnitude of creep.
2. The _________ the modulus of elasticity the _________ is the creep.
a) Higher, more
b) Lower, more
c) Higher, less
d) Lower, less
Explanation: It can be easily imagined that the higher the modulus of elasticity the less is the creep.
3. A ________ paste structure undergoes ________ creep.
a) Good, high
b) Poor, high
c) Good, average
d) Poor, low
Explanation: The amount of paste content and its quality is one of the most important factors influencing creep. A poorer paste structure undergoes higher creep.
4. Creep is _________ to the strength of concrete.
c) Directly proportional
d) Inversely proportional
Explanation: Creep increases with increase in water/cement ratio. In other words, it can also be said that creep is inversely proportional to the strength of concrete.
5. The rate of creep rapidly ________ with time.
c) Doesn’t affect
d) Depends on the temperature
Explanation: The rate of creep rapidly decreases with time. The time taken by a concrete structure to attained creep is 5 years.
6. Aggregates with moisture movement and _________ elastic modulus cause a _________ amount of creep.
a) High, higher
b) Low, lower
c) High, lower
d) Low, higher
Explanation: Aggregates with moisture movement and low elastic modulus cause a large amount of creep.
7. The rate of creep generally _________ with the _________ of the size of aggregates.
a) Increase, increase
b) Decrease, decease
c) Increase, decrease
d) 2.5, 12mm
Explanation: The rate of creep generally decreases with the increase of the size of aggregates.
8. What is elastic strains?
a) These are the instantaneous deformations that occur when an external stress is first applied
b) These deformations occur either on loss of moisture from the concrete on cooling of concrete
c) It is the time-dependent deformation that occurs on the prolonged application of stress
d) Any one or combinations of the above types of deformations in a hardened concrete leads to cracking.
Explanation: Elastic strain in concrete, as defined above, depends on the externally applied stress and the modulus of elasticity of concrete.
9. Static modulus of elasticity of concrete has been related to its
a) Tensile strength
b) Compressive strength
c) External strength
d) Applied force
Explanation: Static modulus of elasticity of concrete has been related to its compressive strength by the various Standards.
10. Coefficient of thermal expansion of concrete is ________ coefficient of thermal expansion in aggregates.
a) Directly proportional
b) Inversely proportional
d) More than
Explanation: Coefficient of thermal expansion of concrete increases with the increase in coefficient of thermal expansion of aggregates and vice-versa.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Concrete Technology.
To practice all areas of Concrete Technology Assessment Questions, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.