This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Unicode”.
1. The numbers used to represent numeric values in EBCDIC are _______
Explanation: Zoned numbers represent the numeric values under EBCDIC (Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code). In zoned format, there is only one digit per byte.
2. Unicode provides a consistent way of encoding multilingual plain text.
Explanation: Unicode defines codes for characters used in all major languages of the world.
It is a coding system which supports almost all the languages. It defines special codes for different characters, symbols, diacritics, etc.
3. Which of the following is not a type of numeric value in zoned format?
Explanation: The zoned format can represent numeric values of type Positive, negative and unsigned numbers. A sign indicator is used in the zone position of the rightmost digit.
4. The sign indicator of unsigned numbers is ____________
Explanation: A sign indicator is used in the zone position of the rightmost digit. A sign indicator C is used for positive, D for negative and F is used for negative numbers.
5. The EBCDIC value of the number 345 in zoned format is __________
Explanation: F is used for the representation of unsigned numbers therefore, F3F4F5 represents 345. F3F4C5 represents +345 . F3F4D5 represents -345.
6. Which of the following is a valid encoding format?
Explanation: The various encoding formats are UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32. UTF stands for Unicode Transformation Format. It is basically an encoding system that supports all languages.
7. _________________ defines the assigned ordering among the characters used by the computer.
b) Collating Sequence
Explanation: Collating sequence is the term used for ordering among characters. It may vary depending upon the type of code used by a computer.
8. The sorting sequence of the strings A1,23,1A will be ______________
a) 23 > A1 > 1A
b) 23 < 1A > A1
c) A1 > 1A > 23
d) A1 < 1A < 23
Explanation: The sorting order is A1, 1A, 23. Numeric characters are given a greater preference in EBCDIC as compared to the alphabets.
9. The default character coding in HTML-5 is _____________
Explanation: HTML5 which is the hypertext markup language generally uses the UTF-8 format as its default encoding. Unicode covers all the characters and symbols in all the different languages.
10. Numbers used in packed decimal format can be used for _____________ operations.
Explanation: The packed numbers can be used for arithmetic operations. The packed numbers also require the lesser number of bytes as compared to zoned numbers.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.