This set of Computer Fundamentals test focuses on “Sequential & Direct Access”.
1. Computer has a built-in system clock that emits millions of regularly spaced electric pulses per _____ called clock cycles.
Explanation: The regularly spaced electric pulses per second are referred to as the clock cycles. All the jobs performed by the processor are on the basis of clock cycles.
2. It takes one clock cycle to perform a basic operation.
Explanation: It takes exactly one clock cycle to perform a basic operation, such as moving a byte of memory from a location to another location in the computer.
3. The operation that does not involves clock cycles is ____________
a) Installation of a device
Explanation: Normally, several clock cycles are required to fetch, execute and decode a particular program. Installation of a device is done by the system on its own.
4. The number of clock cycles per second is referred as ______
a) Clock speed
b) Clock frequency
c) Clock rate
d) Clock timing
Explanation: The number of clock cycles per second is the clock speed. It is generally measured in gigahertz(109 cycles/sec) or megahertz (106 cycles/sec).
5. CISC stands for ___________
a) Complex Information Sensed CPU
b) Complex Instruction Set Computer
c) Complex Intelligence Sensed CPU
d) Complex Instruction Set CPU
Explanation: CISC is a large instruction set computer. It has variable length instructions. It also has a variety of addressing modes.
6. Which of the following processor has a fixed length of instructions?
Explanation: The RISC which stands for Reduced Instruction set computer has a fixed length of instructions. It has a small instruction set. Also has reduced references to memory to retrieve operands.
7. Processor which is complex and expensive to produce _________
Explanation: CISC stands for complex instruction set computer. It is mostly used in personal computers. It has a large instruction set and a variable length of instructions.
8. The architecture that uses a tighter coupling between the compiler and the processor.
Explanation: EPIC stands for Explicitly parallel instruction computing. It has a tighter coupling between the compiler and the processor. It enables the compiler to extract maximum parallelism in the original code.
9. HLDA stands for _______
a) High level data
b) High level data acknowledgment
c) Hold Acknowledgement
d) Hold Data
Explanation: The HOLD signal is given to the CPU whenever an interrupt is to be served. If the CPU is ready to give the control of the bus, it gives the HLDA command which is Hold Acknowledgement.
10. Word length of a personal computer ___________
b) 16 bits
c) 8 bits
d) 32 bits
Explanation: The word length which is the size of a word is generally 8 bits in a personal computer. Word Size is generally the number of bits that can be processed in one go by the CPU.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals for tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.