This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “SOP & POS”.
1. The terms in SOP are called ___________
a) max terms
b) min terms
c) mid terms
d) sum terms
Explanation: The SOP is the sum of products. It consists of min terms often called the product terms.
Similarly, POS consists of max terms.
2. A sum of products expression is a product term (min term) or several min terms ANDed together.
Explanation: The statement is partially correct.
A sum of products expression is a product term (min term) or several min terms OR ed(i.e. added) together.
3. Which of the following is an incorrect SOP expression?
Explanation: The second expression is incorrect because it consists of two maxterms ANDed together.
This makes it a POS or the product of sum expression.
Other options are valid SOP expressions.
4. The corresponding min term when x=0, y=0 and z=1.
Explanation: The min term is obtained by taking the complement of the zero values and taking the term with value 1 as it is.
Here, x=0,y=0 and z=1, then the min term is x’y’z.
5. LSI stands for ___________
a) Large Scale Integration
b) Large System Integration
c) Large Symbolic Instruction
d) Large Symbolic Integration
Explanation: It stands for large scale integration. This is the abstraction level of the integrated circuits.
It can also be small scale, medium, large or very large scale integration.
6. Which operation is shown in the following expression: (X+Y’).(X+Z).(Z’+Y’)
Explanation: The expression comprises of max terms.
Also, the terms are ANDed together, therefore it is a POS term.
7. The number of min terms for an expression comprising of 3 variables?
Explanation: If any expression comprises of n variables, its corresponding min terms are given by 2n.
Here, n=3 since there are 3 variables therefore, min terms=23=8.
8. The number of cells in a K-map with n-variables.
Explanation: K-map is nothing but Karnaugh map.
SOP and POS expressions can be simplified using the K-map.
The number of cells in case of n-variables=2n.
9. The output of AND gates in the SOP expression is connected using the ________ gate.
Explanation: Since the product terms or the min terms are added in an SOP expression.
Therefore, the OR gate is used to connect the AND gates.
10. The expression A+BC is the reduced form of ______________
Explanation: The second option is correct.
It can simplified as follows: (A+B)(A+C)
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.