This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Processor & Its Types”.
1. Computer has a built-in system clock that emits millions of regularly spaced electric pulses per _____ called clock cycles.
Explanation: The regularly spaced electric pulses per second are referred to as the clock cycles. All the jobs performed by the processor are on the basis of clock cycles.
2. It takes one clock cycle to perform a basic operation.
Explanation: It takes exactly one clock cycle to perform a basic operation, such as moving a byte of memory from a location to another location in the computer.
3. The operation that does not involves clock cycles is _________
a) Installation of a device
Explanation: Normally, several clock cycles are required to fetch, execute and decode a particular program.
Installation of a device is done by the system on its own.
4. The number of clock cycles per second is referred as ________
a) Clock speed
b) Clock frequency
c) Clock rate
d) Clock timing
Explanation: The number of clock cycles per second is the clock speed. It is generally measured in gigahertz(109 cycles/sec) or megahertz (106 cycles/sec).
5. CISC stands for ____________
a) Complex Information Sensed CPU
b) Complex Instruction Set Computer
c) Complex Intelligence Sensed CPU
d) Complex Instruction Set CPU
Explanation: CISC is a large instruction set computer. It has variable length instructions. It also has variety of addressing modes.
6. Which of the following processor has a fixed length of instructions?
Explanation: The RISC which stands for Reduced Instruction set computer has a fixed length of instructions. It has a small instruction set. Also has reduced references to memory to retrieve operands.
7. Processor which is complex and expensive to produce is ________
Explanation: CISC stands for complex instruction set computer. It is mostly used in personal computers. It has a large instruction set and a variable length of instructions.
8. The architecture that uses a tighter coupling between the compiler and the processor is ____________
Explanation: EPIC stands for Explicitly parallel instruction computing. It has a tighter coupling between the compiler and the processor. It enables the compiler to extract maximum parallelism in the original code.
9. MAR stands for ___________
a) Memory address register
b) Main address register
c) Main accessible register
d) Memory accessible register
Explanation: The MAR stands for memory address register. It holds the address of the active memory location.
10. A circuitry that processes that responds to and processes the basic instructions that are required to drive a computer system is ________
Explanation: The processor is responsible for processing the basic instructions in order to drive a computer. The primary functions of a processor are fetch, decode and execute.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.