This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Main Memory Organisation”.
1. Any electronic holding place where data can be stored and retrieved later whenever required is ____________
Explanation: Memory is the place where data can be stored and later retrieved. Memory can be of classified into register, cache, main memory, etc.
2. Cache memory is the onboard storage.
Explanation: Cache Memory is the memory closest to the CPU. Registers, Cache and the main memory are the means of onboard storage in the computer system.
3. Which of the following is the fastest means of memory access for CPU?
c) Main memory
d) Virtual Memory
Explanation: Registers are the fastest means of access for CPU. Registers are the small memory locations which are present closest to the CPU.
4. The memory implemented using the semiconductor chips is _________
Explanation: The main memory is implemented using semiconductor chips. Main memory is located on the motherboard. It mainly consists of RAM and small amount of ROM.
5. Size of the ________ memory mainly depends on the size of the address bus.
Explanation: The size of the main memory depends on the size of the address bus of the CPU. The main memory mainly consists of RAM and ROM, where RAM contains the current data and programs and ROM contains permanent programs like BIOS.
6. Which of the following is independent of the address bus?
a) Secondary memory
b) Main memory
c) Onboard memory
d) Cache memory
Explanation: The secondary memory is independent of the address bus. It increases the storage space. It is implemented in the form of magnetic storage devices.
7. ____________ storage is a system where a robotic arm will connect or disconnect off-line mass storage media according to the computer operating system demands.
Explanation: The tertiary storage is the correct option. It is used in the realms of enterprise storage and scientific computing on large computer systems and business computer networks and is something a typical personal computer never sees firsthand.
8. What is the location of the internal registers of CPU?
Explanation: The internal registers are present on-chip. They are therefore present inside the CPU. L1 cache is also present on-chip inside the CPU.
9. MAR stands for ___________
a) Memory address register
b) Main address register
c) Main accessible register
d) Memory accessible register
Explanation: The MAR stands for memory address register. It holds the address of the active memory location.
10. If M denotes the number of memory locations and N denotes the word size, then an expression that denotes the storage capacity is ______________
Explanation: Storage capacity is the product of a number of memory locations that is the number of words and the word size or the number of bits stored per location. Storage capacity should be as large as possible.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Fundamentals
- Participate in Computer Fundamentals Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Fundamentals
- Take Computer Fundamentals Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10