This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Internetworking”.
1. Configuration where many independent computer systems are connected.
Explanation: Distributed configuration has many systems connected, and messages, programs, etc are transmitted between cooperating computer systems.
2. Partial mesh is a highly flexible topology that can take a variety of very different configurations.
Explanation: The statement is true. Partial mesh is a highly flexible topology that can take a variety of very different configurations. The routers are tightly coupled than the basic topologies. But they are not fully interconnected, as would be the case in a fully meshed network.
3. Components used for interconnecting dissimilar networks that use different communication protocols.
Explanation: Gateways are used for this purpose. Gateways interconnect dissimilar networks, protocol conversion is performed by them.
4. A topology is a modified version of the basic star topology.
Explanation: A two-tiered topology is a modified version of the basic star topology. Rather than single concentrator routers, two or more routers are used.
5. WANs that need to interconnect a very large number of sites.
Explanation: Wide Area Networks that need to interconnect a very large number of sites, or are built using smaller routers that can support only a few serial connections, may find the two-tiered architecture insufficiently scalable.
6. Components that operate at the network layer of the OSI model.
Explanation: They are referred to as the routers. They are used for interconnecting those networks that use the same high-level protocols above network layer.
7. A topology that involves Tokens.
d) Daisy Chaining
Explanation: Ring topology involves sending and receiving of data with the help of tokens. Ring started out as a simple peer-to-peer LAN topology.
8. ____________ operate at bottom two layers of the OSI model.
Explanation: Bridges operate at the bottom two layers of the OSI model. It connects networks that use the same communication protocols above data-link layer.
9. Connecting two or more networks to form a single network is called :
Explanation: Connecting two or more networks to form a single network is called internetworking and the resultant network is called internetwork.
10. OSI stands for?
a) Open Site Interconnection
b) Open System Interdependence
c) Open System Interconnection
d) Open Site Interdependence
Explanation: OSI is open system interconnection. It is a framework for defining standards for linking heterogeneous computers in a packet switched network.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.