This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “IEEE 32 and 64 bit”.
1. Binary addition of 1 + 1 gives the result _____________
Explanation: The result obtained is 0 with a carry of 1. This carry obtained is added to the next higher column. Binary system can have only two numbers 0 and 1.
2. 4-bit is a valid IEEE- format.
Explanation: The two main IEEE formats are 16-bit and 32-bit. No format of 4-bit exists. Further, 8-bit format also exists.
In IEEE format, there are certain bits allotted to sign, exponent and mantissa.
3. The result of 0 – 1 in binary is ______________
Explanation: The binary subtraction 0 – 1 gives the result 1. A borrow of 1 is although generated and is removed from the next higher column.
4. The complement of any number can be given by a general term _______________
a) Bn – 1 – N
b) Bn -1 + N
c) Bn +1 – N
d) Bn +1 + N
Explanation: Complement of a number can be given by the term :
C= Bn – 1 – N.
n= number of digits
N= the number.
5. The IEEE standard followed by almost all the computers for floating point arithmetic _____
a) IEEE 260
b) IEEE 488
c) IEEE 754
d) IEEE 610
Explanation: Most computers follow the IEEE 754 bit format for floating point arithmetic. IEEE stands for electrical and electronic engineers. It has all the floating point arithmetic specifications.
6. Which of the following is often called the double precision format?
Explanation: The 64-bit format is referred to as the double precision format. It has 1 sign bit, 8 exponent bits and 23 bits for the mantissa.
7. What is NaN in IEEE standards?
a) Not arithmetic
b) Not a negation
c) Not a number
d) Not a Node
Explanation: It stands for not a number in IEEE standards. A NaN is obtained whenever a result id indeterminate like whenever anything is divided by 0.
8. The result that is smaller than the smallest number obtained is referred to as ___________
Explanation: It is referred to as underflow. Nan stands for not a number. The mantissa is the part after the decimal.
9. The number of sign bits in a 32-bit IEEE format _________
Explanation: There is only 1 sign bit in all the standards. In a 32-bit format, there is 1 sign bit, 8 bits for the exponent and 23 bits for the mantissa.
10. Express the decimal format of the signed binary number (101010)2 .
Explanation: The first bit is the sign bit whereas the rest of the bits are magnitude bits. So the number is: 01010 =23 * 1 + 21 * 1 =8+2 =10.
But, the sign bit is 1 ,
Therefore the answer is : (-2)10.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.