This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “FORTRAN Basics”.
1. Which is interpreted language?
Explanation: MATLAB is an interpreted language. All the other languages are compiled languages. In the case of Interpreted language, the translation to machine-language is performed incrementally at run-time.
2. In compiled language, the translation to machine-language is performed incrementally at run-time.
Explanation: The statement is false. The translation is performed once, then executable file is run as frequently as needed without further translation.
3. The first widely-used high level language developed in 1957.
Explanation: Fortran which stands for Formula Translation was the first widely-used high level language. It was developed by IBM for scientific applications. The program was entered as punch cards.
4. A text file that contains our program is called as __________
a) Exe file
b) Doc file
c) Obj file
d) Source file
Explanation: A file that contains the code or the main program is called as the source file. Source code must be processed by a compiler to create an executable file.
5. First statement in a fortran code is _________
a) include statement
b) import statement
c) program statement
d) @data statement
Explanation: It is the program statement. program statement is followed by the program name.
Syntax : program xyz
6. A Fortran is not ___________
a) System supported
b) Source supported
c) Case Sensitive
d) Programmer supported
Explanation: Fortran is not a case sensitive language. For e.g. PROGRAM xyz also works. Also, multiple consecutive blank spaces are ignored.
7. The delimiter in a FORTRAN code.
b) Blank space
Explanation: Delimiter separates the tokens we use in our code. In a FORTRAN code, single blank space serves as a delimiter. Though, multiple blank spaces are ignored.
8. A program that reads the source code and converts it to a form usable by the computer.
Explanation: A compiler does this task. Internally, 3 steps are performed: preprocessing, checking and compiling. Further, assembler and linker do the work.
9. A valid variable declaration in FORTRAN is __________
a) real :: Celsius
b) real Celsius;
c) Celsius real;
d) real : Celsius
Explanation: A variable declaration has the following syntax:
Data type :: variable name
10. In FORTRAN, the declarations of variables can be modified using the _____ parameter.
Explanation: Kind can be used for this purpose. It can often be used for the precision of reals. If you want to change the precision, it can easily be done using one line of code.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.