This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “COBOL Basics”.
1. COBOL stands for _________
a) Common Business Oriented Language
b) Common Business Object Language
c) Common Beneficial Oriented Language
d) Common Beneficial Object Language
Explanation: COBOL stands for Common Business Oriented Language. It is designed for business purpose. It is fast and relatively simple to learn.
2. COBOL is a language that keeps evolving.
Explanation: The statement is true. COBOL has billions of lines of existing code with more added each year. It thus keeps updating itself.
3. Which of the following is not a part of the program division in COBOL?
Explanation: COBOL has 4 basic parts in the division section: Identification, Environment, data and procedure. Each program is organized like a book.
4. Which of the following is not a part of the Identification division?
Explanation: The order of identification division is:
5. D in COBOL stands for _________
d) Debugging lines
Explanation: It stands for debugging lines. Compiler fills in with the sequence numbers. There are certain coding rules that must be followed in COBOL.
6. Comment in COBOL is denoted by ________
Explanation: Comment is denoted by asterisk. (*) It denotes the comment line. Hyphen – denotes continuation.
7. The data division is used to ________
a) Declare program id
b) Declare variables
c) File control
d) Input-Output section
Explanation: The data division is used to declare and create variables and constant fields. There are 3 basic data types in COBOL.
8. Which is not a data type in COBOL?
Explanation: There is no data type called as float in COBOL. It has only 3 basic data types: numeric, alphabetic and alphanumeric. Variables are created in the data division.
9. What does S denote in a picture clause?
a) A symbol
b) A character
c) A sign
d) Alphanumeric sign
Explanation: It denotes a sign in a picture clause. Picture clause values usually use 9, X, V, S, A.
10. _____________ denotes the format in which data is stored in memory.
Explanation: Usage denotes the format in which data is stored in the memory. Normally the phrase usage is omitted in COBOL.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.