This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Binary Multiplication & Division”.
1. Perform binary addition of 1101 + 0010 is ________
Explanation: The addition is performed as :
Therefore, the result is 1111.
2. The addition 1+1 gives 0 as a result.
Explanation: The two result obtained is 0 with a carry of 1. This carry is transferred to the next higher column.
3. The result of 0*1 in binary is ____________
Explanation: The binary multiplication of any number with 0 will give the result 0 itself. Any binary number when multiplied by 0 gives 0 only. e.g. 1101 * 0000 = 0000.
4. The multiplication of 110 * 111 is performed. What is a general term used for 111?
Explanation: 111 is called the multiplier.
Whenever a multiplication is performed the second term is called the multiplier whereas the first term is called the multiplicand.
5. The result obtained on binary multiplication of 1010 * 1100 is _____________
Explanation: The solution is as follows :
1010 * 1100 ________ 0000 0000 1010 1010 _______ 1111000
6. Which of the following is often called the double precision format?
Explanation: The 64-bit format is referred to as the double precision format. It has:-
Sign bit: 1 bit, Exponent: 11 bits and Significand precision: 53 bits (52 explicitly stored).
7. What do you call the intermediate terms in binary multiplication?
b) Mid terms
c) Partial Products
Explanation: The intermediate terms are called partial terms. The mid terms obtained in the binary multiplications are the partial ones whereas the answer obtained is called the final product.
8. The result that is smaller than the smallest number obtained is referred to as ___________
Explanation: It is referred to as underflow. Nan stands for not a number. Mantissa is the part after the decimal.
9. The number of sign bits in a 32-bit IEEE format is _______
Explanation: There is only 1 sign bit in all the standards. In a 32-bit format, there is 1 sign bit, 8 bits for the exponent and 23 bits for the mantissa.
10. Express the decimal format of the signed binary number (101010)2 .
Explanation: The first bit is the sign bit whereas the rest of the bits are magnitude bits. So the number is: 01010 =23 * 1 + 21 * 1 =8+2 =10.
But , the sign bit is 1,
Therefore the answer is : (-2)10.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Fundamentals
- Participate in Computer Fundamentals Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Fundamentals
- Take Computer Fundamentals Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10