This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Algorithms”.
1. The word ____________comes from the name of a Persian mathematician Abu Ja’far Mohammed ibn-i Musa al Khowarizmi.
Explanation: The word algorithm comes from the name of a Persian mathematician Abu Ja’far Mohammed ibn-i Musa al Khowarizmi.
2. In computer science, algorithm refers to a special method usable by a computer for the solution to a problem.
Explanation: The statement is true. This word algorithm refers to a special method usable by a computer for the solution to a problem. The statement of the problem specifies in general terms the desired input/output relationship.
3. This characteristic often draws the line between what is feasible and what is impossible.
b) System Evaluation
Explanation: Algorithms help us to understand scalability. Performance often draws the line between what is feasible and what is impossible.
4. The time that depends on the input: an already sorted sequence that is easier to sort.
Explanation: The running time depends on the input: an already sorted sequence is easier to sort. The running time is given by the size of the input, since short sequences are easier to sort than the longer ones. Generally, we seek upper bounds on the running time, because it is reliable.
5. Which of the following is incorrect?
Algorithms can be represented:
a) as pseudo codes
b) as syntax
c) as programs
d) as flowcharts
Explanation: Representation of algorithms:
-As pseudo codes.
6. When an algorithm is written in the form of a programming language, it becomes a _________
c) Pseudo code
Explanation: An algorithm becomes a program when it is written in the form of a programming language. Thus, any program is an algorithm.
7. Any algorithm is a program.
Explanation: The statement is false. An algorithm is represented in the form of a programming language is called a program. Any program is an algorithm but the reverse is not true.
8. A system wherein items are added from one and removed from the other end.
c) Linked List
Explanation: In a queue, the items are inserted from the rear end and deleted from the front end.
9. Another name for 1-D arrays.
a) Linear arrays
c) Horizontal array
d) Vertical array
Explanation: Linear arrays are the 1-Dimensional arrays wherein only one row is present and the items are inserted.
10. A data structure that follows the FIFO principle.
Explanation: The answer is Queue. A Queue follows the FIFO principle. FIFO stands for First In First Out.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.