This set of Computer Fundamentals Multiple Choice Questions & Answers focuses on “Open Source Initiative”.
1. A guideline for the OSS licenses other than the GPL.
Explanation: OSS is the open source software. In 1997, OSI or the open source initiative was founded and it developed the OSD (Open Source Definition). OSD is a guideline for OSS licenses other than the GPL.
2. GPL of GNU says that every copy of a program governed by GPL license, even if modified, must be subject to GPL again.
Explanation: The statement is true. GPL is the general public license. In the 90s, GPL+Internet, many new open source projects started.
3. Richard Stallman from MIT, established a special license, the ________ license.
Explanation: It was called the GNU license. It ensured that software is free and open to anyone. He was from MIT and his main motive was to develop a free alternative to Unix.
4. In 1969 AT&T laboratories developed ______ which supported and worked on different hardware platforms.
Explanation: Linux was found in that year. It worked well on different hardware platforms. Commercial users had to pay a license fee.
5. OSS stands for ___________
a) Open System Service
b) Open Source Software
c) Open System Software
d) Open Synchronized Software
Explanation: OSS stands for open source software. OSS allows any user to download, view, modify and redistribute the software. Also, the user can fix bugs according to needs.
6. Public domain software is usually __________
a) System supported
b) Source supported
c) Community supported
d) Programmer supported
Explanation: The public domain software is generally community supported. It is community supported as an author does not support users directly.
7. Set of a program which consists of full documentation.
a) Software Package
b) System Software
c) Utility Software
d) File package
Explanation: It is called a software package. Software is nothing but a collection of programs. A software package can solve a specific problem or perform a specific type of job.
8. Interpreter is used as a translator for?
a) Low level language
b) High Level Language
Explanation: It is generally used to make the code into a machine understandable format. Interpreter is used with the high level languages similarly. Assembler is used in case of low level languages.
9. What do you call a specific instruction designed to do a task?
Explanation: A program is a set of instructions. A command is given to do a specific job. A program in execution is called a process.
10. They normally interact with the system via user interface provided by the application software.
Explanation: Users interact with the system via user interface that is given by the application software. Application software is a set of instructions designed to serve a particular purpose.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.