This set of Computer Fundamentals Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “CPU & Control Unit”.
1. Brain of computer is ____________
a) Control unit
b) Arithmetic and Logic unit
c) Central Processing Unit
Explanation: The CPU is referred to as the brain of a computer.
It consists of a control unit and the arithmetic and logic unit. It is responsible for performing all the processes and operations.
2. Control Unit acts as the central nervous system of the computer.
Explanation: The control unit is referred to as the central nervous system because it selects and interprets the instructions and coordinates execution.
3. What does MBR stand for?
a) Main Buffer Register
b) Memory Buffer Routine
c) Main Buffer Routine
d) Memory Buffer Register
Explanation: A memory buffer register (MBR) or memory data register (MDR) is the register in a computer’s CPU that stores the data being transferred to and from the immediate access storage.
4. In the instruction ADD A, B, the answer gets stored in ___________
Explanation: In any instruction of the form ADD A, B; the answer gets stored in the A register. The format is: ADD Destination, Source.
5. What does PC stand for?
a) Program Changer
b) Program Counter
c) Performance Counter
d) Performance Changer
Explanation: The Program counter contains the address of the next instruction which is to be fetched by the control unit.
All other options are invalid.
6. Which of the following holds the last instruction fetched?
Explanation: The IR which stands for the instruction register contains the last instruction fetched.
All the others options are registers which are used for the fetch operation.
7. The portion of the processor which contains the hardware required to fetch the operations is _______
d) Output unit
Explanation: The datapath contains the hardware required to fetch the operations. The control tells the data path what needs to be done.
8. Causing the CPU to step through a series of micro operations is called _________
Explanation: Sequencing is the process of causing the CPU to step through a series of micro operations. Execution causes the performance of each micro operation.
9. The functions of execution and sequencing are performed by using ______________
a) Input Signals
b) Output Signals
c) Control Signals
Explanation: Sequencing followed by the process of execution is performed by the Control signals. Sequencing is traversing each and every operation whereas execution causes the performance of each operation.
10. What does D in the D-flip flop stand for?
Explanation: In the hardwired control unit, the delay element method uses D-flip flop which causes a delay. Since, in the delay element method, there must be a finite time gap between the 2 steps.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Fundamentals.
To practice all areas of Computer Fundamentals for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Fundamentals
- Participate in Computer Fundamentals Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Fundamentals
- Take Computer Fundamentals Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10