This is a C program to count the number of vowels & consonants in a sentence.
This program takes the sentence as input and counts the number of vowels & consonants in a sentence.
1. Take the sentence as input.
2. Using for loop and if,else statements check for vowels, consonants separately.
3. Print the output accordingly and exit.
Here is source code of the C program to count the number of vowels & consonants in a sentence. The C program is successfully compiled and run on a Linux system. The program output is also shown below.
* C program to read a sentence and count the total number of vowels
* and consonants in the sentence.
int i, vowels = 0, consonants = 0, special = 0;
printf("Enter a sentence \n");
for (i = 0; sentence[i] != '\0'; i++)
if ((sentence[i] == 'a' || sentence[i] == 'e' || sentence[i] ==
'i' || sentence[i] == 'o' || sentence[i] == 'u') ||
(sentence[i] == 'A' || sentence[i] == 'E' || sentence[i] ==
'I' || sentence[i] == 'O' || sentence[i] == 'U'))
vowels = vowels + 1;
consonants = consonants + 1;
if (sentence[i] =='\t' ||sentence[i] =='\0' || sentence[i] ==' ')
special = special + 1;
consonants = consonants - special;
printf("No. of vowels in %s = %d\n", sentence, vowels);
printf("No. of consonants in %s = %d\n", sentence, consonants);
1. Take the sentence as input and store in the array sentence.
2. Initialize the variables vowels, consonants and special to zero.
3. Using if,else statements, check if the sentence has vowels like a,e,i,o,u,A,E,I,O and U.
4. If it has, then increment the variable vowels by 1. Otherwise increment the variable consonants by 1.
5. If the sentence has \t, \0, & empty space, then increment the variable special by 1.
6. Do steps 3, 4 & 5 inside a for loop.
7. When for loop terminates, subtract the variable consonants from special.
8. Print the variables vowels and consonants as output.
Enter a sentence welcome to sanfoundry No. of vowels in welcome to sanfoundry = 7 No. of consonants in welcome to sanfoundry = 12
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – 1000 C Programs.