This set of Biomedical Instrumentation Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Potentiometric Recorder”.
1. Which of the following statement is correct?
a) movement of waste product molecules from the dialysate to the blood results in cleaning of the blood
b) movement of waste product molecules from the blood to the dialysate results in cleaning of the blood
c) movement of waste product molecules from the blood to the dialysate results in impuring of the blood
d) movement of waste product molecules from the dialysate to the blood results in cleaning of the blood
Explanation: Movement of waste product molecules from the blood to the dialysate results in cleaning of the blood. The dialysate fluid is free of waste product molecules and, therefore, those in the blood would tend to distribute themselves evenly throughout the blood and the dialysate. All other options are completely wrong.
2. A positive pressure is applied to the blood compartment or a negative pressure established in the dialysate compartment. This process in dialyses is called ______________
a) nano filtration
b) mega filtration
c) micro filtration
d) ultra filtration
Explanation: The volume of body fluid cannot be controlled by dialysis. Instead, ultra-filtration across the membrane is employed. For this, a positive pressure is applied to the blood compartment or a negative pressure established in the dialysate compartment. Either way, fluid—both water and electrolytes—will move from the blood compartment to the dialysate, which is subsequently discarded.
3. Electrode paste ______________
a) increases contact impedance
b) equates contact impedance
c) reduces contact impedance
d) absorbs contact impedance
Explanation: In order to obtain a clearly established contact (low contact impedance) an electrolyte or electrode paste is usually employed as an interface between the electrode and the surface of the source of the event. It is placed between the skin and the electrode. It helps to get better signal acquisition.
4. Heart wall is made up of __________ layers.
Explanation: Heart wall is made up of three layers. First pericardium which is the outer layer of the heart. Second is the myocardium which is the middle layer of the hear and finally endocardium which is the inner layer of the heart wall.
5. Uremia is the clinical state resulting from _____________
a) renal failure
b) liver failure
c) kidney failure
d) lung failure
Explanation: Uremia is the clinical state resulting from renal failure. The signs and symptoms of uremia are extremely diverse and frequently appear to point to a disease of other organs. Uremia affects every organ of the body as certain substances that accumulate in uremia are clearly toxic.
6. Dialysis takes place across a membrane of cellophane.
Explanation: It is true. The dialysate is an electrolyte solution of suitable composition and the dialysis takes place across a membrane of cellophane. The return of the dialyzed blood is by another plastic tube to an appropriate vein.
7. Blood pressure in the glomerular capillaries is in the range of?
a) 17-19 mmHg
b) 7-9 mmHg
c) 170-190 mmHg
d) 70-90 mmHg
Explanation: The blood pressure within the glomerular capillaries is 70–90 mm of mercury. The blood flow through the capillary tuft is controlled by the state of contraction of the muscle of the arteriole leading to the tuft. The renal arteries carry blood at very high pressure from the aorta into the glomerular capillary tuft.
8. The glomerular filtrate consists of blood plasma with proteins.
Explanation: It is false. The glomerular filtrate consists of blood plasma without proteins. The fluid pressure within the tuft forces some of the fluid part of the blood, by filtration, through the thin walls of the capillaries into the glomerulus and on into the tubule of the nephron.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biomedical Instrumentation.
To practice all areas of Biomedical Instrumentation, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biomedical Instrumentation
- Participate in Biomedical Instrumentation Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biomedical Instrumentation
- Take Biomedical Instrumentation Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Biomedical Instrumentation Books
- Buy Biotechnology Books
- Apply for Biomedical Instrumentation Internship
- Practice Biotechnology MCQs
- Apply for Biotechnology Internship