We have compiled a list of the Best Reference Books on Biotechnology, which are used by students of top universities, and colleges. This will help you choose the right book depending on if you are a beginner or an expert. Here is the complete list of Biotechnology Books with their authors, publishers, and an unbiased review of them as well as links to the Amazon website to directly purchase them. If permissible, you can also download the free PDF books on Biotechnology below.
Students, who are preparing for competitive exams like GATE, GRE, and various company interviews also refer to many of these Biotechnology books.
- Basics of Biotechnology by A J Nair
- Basic Biotechnology by Ratledge Colin
- Introduction To Basics Of Biotechnology by Mahajan Ritu
- Basic Biotechnology by IGNACIMUTHU
- Basic Biotechnology by Ratledge C
- Basics of Biotechnology by Sumiya Jamshieed
- Concepts in Biotechnology by Balasubramanian
- Concepts in Biotechnology by Jayanto Achrekar
- Concepts in Biotechnology: History, Science and Business by Klaus Buchholz and John Collins
- Concepts in Biotechnology by G Whitmore
- Biotechnology: A Multi–Volume Comprehensive Treatise Bio–transformations I by David R Kelly
- Biotechnology: Demystifying the Concepts (Benjamin/Cummings Series in the Life Sciences) by David Bourgaize and Thomas R Jewell
- Biotechnology: Fundamentals And Applications by Purohit and S S
- Biotechnology: Principles And Applications by S C Rastogi
- Biotechnology: Applications and Careers by Meenakshi Munshi and S K Sopory
- Biotechnological Applications of Biodiversity (Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology) by Joydeep Mukherjee
- Advanced Biotechnology by R C Dubey
- Practical Biotechnology: Principles and Protocols by Supriya Dash & Swagat Kumar Das H N Thatoi
- Text Book of Animal Biotechnology by B Singh
- Animal Biotechnology by R Sasidhara
- Animal Biotechnology by Varun Mehta
- Introduction To Plant Biotechnology by Chawla H S
- Applied Plant Biotechnology by V Kumaresan
- Plant Biotechnology: Methods in Tissue Culture and Gene Transfer by Peter
- Principles of Plant Biotechnology by Phundan Singh
- Plant Biotechnology and Molecular Markers by SSrivastava and A Narula
- Applied Genetics of Leguminosae Biotechnology (Focus on Biotechnology) by Pawan K Jaiwal and Rana P Singh
- Basic Industrial Biotechnology by S M Reddy
- Manual of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology by Richard H Baltz and Arnold L Demain
- Industrial Biotechnology by D A Sawant
- Industrial Biotechnology: Products and Processes (Advanced Biotechnology) by Christoph Wittmann and James C Liao
- Environmental Biotechnology by Bhattacharya B C and Banerjee R
- Environmental Biotechnology: Concepts and Application by Jordening H J and Winter J
- Environmental Biotechnology by M H Fulekar
- Biotechnology for the Environment: Soil Remediation (Focus on Biotechnology) by Walter Reineke and Spiros Agathos
- Introduction to Food Biotechnology by Sinosh Skariyachan / Abhilash M
- Food Biotechnology: Principles and Practices by Vinod K Joshi and R S Singh
- Advances in Food Biotechnology by Ravishankar Rai V
- Food Fermentation Biotechnology by Ashok Pandey
- Clinical Biotechnology by Seema J Patel
- ENZYMES: Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Clinical Chemistry by Philip Bonner and Trevor Palmer
- Microbial Enzymes and Biotechnology by W M Fogarty and C T Kelly
- Cyanobacterial Biotechnology by G Subramanian
- Biotechnology of Isoprenoids (Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology) by Jens Schrader and Jörg Bohlmann
- Biotechnology: Forestry and Forest Products. Bibliography by Raymond Dobert and Robin Emrich
- Transgenic Crops III (Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry) by Y P S Bajaj
- Recent Advances in Marine Biotechnology Vol. II by M Fingerman and R Nagabhushanam Mary
- Marine Biotechnology and Patents by Bevis Fedder
- Marine Biotechnology I (Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology) by Yves Le Gal and Roland Ulber
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology: Basic Experimental Protocols by M P Bansal
- Textbook of Biotechnology (Fundamentals of Molecular Biology) by Jain S K
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology: Basic Experimental Protocols by M P Bansal
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology by S P Vyas
- Textbook of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology by Kokate
- Biotechnology And Its Applications In Pharmacy by Kulkarni
- A Textbook of Biotechnology for Class XI by R.C. Dubey
- Comprehensive Biotechnology Class XI by A. Jayakumaran Nair
- Biotechnological Innovations in Chemical Synthesis (Biotol) by B. C. Currell and R.C.E.Van Dam Mieras
- Introduction to Biotechnology Class- XII by Yash Pal, Joginder Singh
- A Textbook of Biotechnology for Class XII by R.C. Dubey
- Biotechnology Class XII: Pres by J and K Board by Kannan
- Current Developments in Biotechnology and Bioengineering: Bioprocesses, Bioreactors and Controls by Guocheng Du and M Angeles Sanroman
- Biotechnology of Biopolymers by Federico Noguerra
- Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering by Dr C M Narayan
- Objective Genetics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Forestry by Vijay K Khanna
- Engineering (Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology) by B Atkinson and K F O’Driscoll
- Biotechnology of Major Cereals by Huw Jones and Wei Chen
- Biotechnology in Medical Sciences by Firdos Alam Khan
- Bioethics and Biosafety in Biotechnology by V Sree Krishna
1. Biotechnology Books for Beginners
|3."Introduction To Basics Of Biotechnology" by Mahajan Ritu|
|4."Basic Biotechnology" by IGNACIMUTHU|
|10."Concepts in Biotechnology" by G Whitmore|
2. Advanced Biotechnology Books
3. Books on Animal Biotechnology
|3."Animal Biotechnology" by Varun Mehta|
Check the list of best books on “Animal Biotechnology” here.
4. Books on Plant Biotechnology
|2."Applied Plant Biotechnology" by V Kumaresan|
Check the list of best books on “Plant Biotechnology” here.
5. Books on Industrial Biotechnology
|3."Industrial Biotechnology" by D A Sawant|
Check the list of best books on “Industrial Biotechnology” here.
6. Books on Environmental Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Environmental Biotechnology” here.
7. Books on Food Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Food Biotechnology” here.
8. Books on Clinical Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Clinical Biotechnology” here.
9. Books on Microbial Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Microbial Biotechnology” here.
10. Books on Forest Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Forest Biotechnology” here.
11. Books on Marine Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Marine Biotechnology” here.
12. Books on Molecular Biotechnology
|2."Textbook of Biotechnology (Fundamentals of Molecular Biology)" by Jain S K|
Check the list of best books on “Molecular Biotechnology” here.
13. Books on Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
Check the list of best books on “Pharmaceutical Biotechnology” here.
14. Books on Biotechnology for School
15. Biotechnology Books for Specialized Streams
|2."Biotechnology of Biopolymers" by Federico Noguerra|
16. Biotechnology and Applications
|1."Environmental Biotechnology: Basic Concepts and Applications" by Indu Shekhar Thakur|
“Environmental Biotechnology: Basic Concepts and Applications” Book Review: This book offers an overview of the fundamental processes in the environment, including natural and human-induced perturbations, and the application of biotechnological principles for sustainable environmental remediation and development. It explores the latest advancements in understanding the essential life-sustaining processes in the environment, the identification and utilization of molecules, and their application in clean technologies and addressing environmental challenges. The contents cover various aspects such as environmental biotechnology, ecosystem processes, environmental resources (air, water, and soil), pollution (air, water, and soil), global environmental problems, microbial dynamics, biodegradation of natural and xenobiotic compounds, biosorption of metals, application of biotechnology in environmental management, and remedial mechanisms for industrial problems.
|2."Enviornmental Biotechnology: Principles and Applications" by Bruce Rittmann and Perry Mccarty|
“Environmental Biotechnology: Principles and Applications” Book Review: This book establishes a strong basis in microbiology and engineering principles and offers extensive coverage of various environmental applications. It focuses on both traditional practices like activated sludge and anaerobic digestion, as well as emerging applications such as hazardous chemical detoxification and biofiltration for drinking water. It discusses the principles and applications of environmental biotechnology, providing tools for understanding and designing microbiological processes used in environmental protection and enhancement.
|3."Molecular Biotechnology: Principles and Applications of Recombinant DNA" by Bernard J Glick and Jack J Pasternak|
“Molecular Biotechnology: Principles and Applications of Recombinant DNA” Book Review: This textbook is designed for upper-level undergraduate and graduate courses that focus on specific aspects of modern biotechnology and its applications in various fields such as medicine, agriculture, environment, and industry. It covers complex fundamentals of biotechnology, biological systems and processes, and provides expanded coverage of the latest advancements in DNA sequencing techniques, therapeutics, vaccines, transgenic plants, and transgenic animals. The book also includes updated examples that illustrate the most recent concepts and applications in the field.
|4."Environmental Biotechnology: Theory and Application" by Gareth M Evans and Judith C Furlong|
“Environmental Biotechnology: Theory and Application” Book Review: This book combines the microscopic, functional aspects of biotechnology with the macroscopic, practical applications, illustrating their relationship within an environmental framework. It explores the biological methods used to tackle environmental issues and equips the reader with a solid understanding of the scientific principles behind these approaches. The book covers a range of topics including manufacturing, land remediation, pollution control, and waste management, making it a valuable resource for environmental studies. It is intended as a textbook for undergraduate and master’s students enrolled in Biotechnology or Pollution Control modules as part of Environmental Science, Environmental Management, or Environmental Biology programs.
|5."Plant Biotechnology And Its Applications In Tissue Culture" by Ashwani Kumar and Shikha Roy|
“Plant Biotechnology And Its Applications In Tissue Culture” Book Review: This book explores various aspects of plant biotechnology, including embryogenesis, regeneration, micropropagation, genomics, genetic transformation systems, secondary metabolites, metabolic engineering, molecular biology, resistance to biotic and abiotic stress, and tree biotechnology. It delves into the molecular aspects of different processes occurring in cultured plant cells, aiming to harness their potential for the advancement of plant biotechnology. The book covers fundamental concepts such as developmental biology mechanisms, cellular and molecular interactions at the cell and tissue level, gene expression and regulation, and genetic modifications through genomics. These areas of research are continuously evolving and remain essential in the field of plant biotechnology.
|6."Pharmaceutical Biotechnology: Concepts and Applications" by Gary Walsh|
“Pharmaceutical Biotechnology: Concepts and Applications” Book Review: This textbook is designed for students pursuing Pharmacy and related Medical and Pharmaceutical courses. It serves as an introduction to the rapidly advancing field of biopharmaceuticals. The book covers various important topics from a pharmaceutical perspective. Initially, the chapters provide an overview of protein science and recombinant DNA technology, which are foundational areas in the field. Subsequent chapters delve into the development, production, and analysis of these substances. The book explores the scientific principles, biotechnological advancements, and medical applications of specific categories of biotech products. These categories encompass not only protein-based substances but also nucleic acid and cell-based products. The text introduces the fundamental principles underlying modern biotechnology, such as recombinant DNA technology and protein science. It is specifically designed for pharmacy and medical students, offering a concise yet detailed overview of this rapidly evolving subject. The book also includes numerous relevant case studies to enhance student understanding.
|7."Objective Bio-Technology: Entrance Examination (Popular Master Guide)" by RPH Editorial Board|
|8."Solved and Mock Papers for GATE Bio Technology" by Akanksha Singhal|
“Solved and Mock Papers for GATE BioTechnology” Book Review: This book is a compilation of solved papers from the past seven years of the GATE Biotechnology exam. The solutions are provided in detail, allowing aspirants to become acquainted with the current question trends in this exam. At the beginning of the book, there is a concise description of the syllabus, providing an understanding of the topics covered. It aims to enhance both theoretical and practical knowledge of various concepts. The book offers a brief overview of the nature of the exam. In addition to solutions, this book provides valuable tips and tactics essential for cracking the exam.
|9."Piriformospora indica: Sebacinales and Their Biotechnological Applications (Soil Biology)" by Ajit Varma and Gerhard Kost|
“Piriformospora indica: Sebacinales and Their Biotechnological Applications (Soil Biology)” Book Review: This is an informative book that explores the fascinating world of Piriformospora indica, a beneficial fungal symbiont. The book covers a range of topics, including the taxonomy and ecology of Sebacinales, the biology and genetics of Piriformospora indica, the interactions between Piriformospora indica and plants, and the potential biotechnological applications of this symbiotic relationship. With detailed chapters on plant growth promotion, stress tolerance, and biocontrol, this book provides valuable insights into the role of Piriformospora indica in enhancing plant health and productivity. It serves as a valuable resource for researchers, biotechnologists, and plant scientists interested in understanding and harnessing the potential of this unique fungal symbiont.
|10."Plant Tissue Culture and Its Bio-technological Application" by W Barz and E Reinhard|
|11."Phytohormones: A Window to Metabolism, Signaling and Biotechnological Applications" by Sikander Pal and Lam-Son Phan Tran|
“Phytohormones: A Window to Metabolism, Signaling and Biotechnological Applications” Book Review: This book is designed for a wide range of individuals including researchers, students, professors, and others with an interest in the field. It offers an in-depth exploration of the biology of plant hormones, their implications, and signal transduction mechanisms. Each section concludes with biotechnological strategies for manipulating signal transduction and hormone levels. The book discusses the effects of plant hormones in challenging environments across various chapters.
|12."Biotechnology and Plant Breeding: Applications and Approaches for Developing Improved Cultivars" by Aluízio Borém and Roberto Fritsche-Neto|
“Biotechnology and Plant Breeding: Applications and Approaches for Developing Improved Cultivars” Book Review: This book serves as a valuable resource for plant biologists, seed technologists, selection technicians, and agricultural scientists. It offers beneficial insights for students and researchers in the field of biotechnology applied to plant selection. The book encompasses important discussions on the applications of biotechnology in plant selection, covering key topics such as genetically modified plants and the use of biometrics for molecular analysis of genetic diversity. The book enables plant breeders to easily grasp and apply these concepts in their breeding programs. It explores biotechnologies specifically optimized for cultivar development, providing real-world applications for users.
|13."Advanced Instrumentation, Data Interpretation, and Control of Biotechnological Processes" by J F van Impe and P A Vanrolleghem|
“Advanced Instrumentation, Data Interpretation, and Control of
Biotechnological Processes” Book Review: This is a comprehensive guide that delves into the intricacies of instrumentation, data interpretation, and control in the field of biotechnology. The book covers a wide range of topics, including sensors and measurement techniques, data analysis and modeling, process control strategies, and optimization techniques. With in-depth chapters on process monitoring, quality control, and automation, this book equips readers with the necessary tools and knowledge to effectively monitor and control biotechnological processes. It serves as a valuable resource for researchers, engineers, and professionals working in biotechnology, providing practical insights and strategies for enhancing process efficiency and productivity.
17. Additional Recommendations:
1. Animal Physiology and Biotechnology Books
2. Application of Biotechnology in Environmental Engineering Books
3. Applied Plant Biotechnology Books
4. Basic Industrial Biotechnology Books
5. Biochemistry and Plant Biotechnology Books
6. Biotechnology in Food Fermentation Books
7. Biotechnology for Environmental Remediation Books
8. Biotechnology of Plant Metabolites Books
9. Crop Breeding and Biotechnological Application Books
10. Crop Genomics and Biotechnology Books
11. Cyanobacterial Biotechnology Books
12. Drug and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Books
13. Plant Nutrition, Biotechnology and Physiology Books
14. Class 11 – Biotechnology Books
15. Class 12 – Biotechnology Books