This set of Automobile Engineering Quiz focuses on “Various Parts of Engine – 1”.
1. The function of crankcase in two stroke petrol engines is
a) It holds the engine lubricating oil
b) It forms a pressurised chamber for fuel air mixture
c) It holds the exhaust gases after combustion
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: It holds the fuel air mixture during engine cycle.
2. Connecting rods are generally of the following form
a) Forged I-section
b) Forged round section
c) Cast iron square section
d) Forged square section steel
Explanation: Connecting rods are generally of forged I-section type.
3. The purpose of crankcase ventilation is to
a) Cool the oil
b) Remove vaporised water and fuel
c) Supply oxygen to the crankcase
d) It assists in maintaining the viscosity of oil
Explanation: Crankcase ventilation removes vaporised water and fuel.
4. The escape of burned gases from the combustion chamber past the pistons and into the crankcase is called
a) Gas loss
b) Blow by
c) By pass
d) Passed gas
Explanation: Blow by is the surging of burned gases from combustion chamber into the crankcase.
5. Connecting rod is attached to the piston by the
a) Rod cap
b) Piston pin
c) Cap bolt
d) Lower cap
Explanation: Connecting rod is attached to the piston by piston pin.
6. Engine pistons are generally made of aluminium alloy because
a) It is lighter
b) It is stronger
c) It has less wear
d) It absorbs shock
Explanation: Aluminium alloy are used because they are lighter.
7. Piston compression rings are made of
a) Cast iron
Explanation: Cast iron is used for piston compression rings.
8. Gudgeon pins are made of
a) Cast iron
c) Same material as that of piston
d) Hardened and ground steel
Explanation: Gudgeon pins and piston are made of same material.
9. The purpose of a piston pin is that
a) It prevents the valve from rotating
b) It links the connecting rod to the crankshaft
c) It ensure the piston ring to the piston
d) It connect the piston to the connecting rod
Explanation: Piston pin connects the piston to the connecting rod.
10. When no.1 piston of a four cylinder in line four stroke engine is performing the power stroke, no.4 piston is on the stroke called
Explanation: When no.1 piston is on power stroke, no.4 piston will be on suction stroke.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Automobile Engineering.
To practice all areas of Automobile Engineering for Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.