This set of Analog Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Hilbert Transform”.
1. If a receiver has poor selectivity then it also have poor ________
b) blocking of unwanted signals
c) double spotting
Explanation: Selectivity is the ability of a radio receiver to reject unwanted signals and allow only the desired signal to pass. Thus, it’s the blocking of unwanted signals. Sensitivity is the ability of a receiver to amplify weak signals to a desired level, whereas reception means to receive a signal.
2. For a large amount of power, a push pull amplifier is designed for operation as ________
a) class C
b) class B
c) class AB
d) class A
Explanation: A push pull amplifier is an amplifier whose output is a cumulative sum of the outputs of the currents produced by the two different stages of the load. It is generally used when a large amount of power is to be consumed. Of all the power amplifiers, only Class B amplifier is capable to produce such large amount of power.
3. In a Vidicon camera tube, the side of target plate facing the light has a coating of antimony trisulphide and the side facing electron gun has a coating of tin oxide.
Explanation: A vidicon camera tube is a type of camera having a photoconductive surface within. In a Vidicon camera tube, the side of target plate facing the light has a coating of Sno2 and the side facing electron gun has a coating of antimony trisulphide.
4. Autocorrelation function of which noise is a constant?
a) white noise
b) shot noise
c) transit time noise
d) extraterrestrial noise
Explanation: White noise is a random signal having equal intensities at different frequencies. The autocorrelation of white noise signal has a straight vertical line at origin and is zero for rest points. Thus Autocorrelation function of white noise is a constant.
5. Thermal noise shot noise and transit time noise is part of internal noise in communication.
Explanation: Internal noise in communication is the noise that gets generated within the receiver or communication system, like thermal noise, shot noise, transit time noise, partition noise and such like. External noise is that noise which is generated from an external source, that is not a part of the communication system.
6. In amplitude modulation, magnitude of side bands is 2ma times the carrier amplitude.
Explanation: In amplitude modulation, magnitude of side bands is m/2 times the carrier amplitude (‘a’), where ‘m’ is the modulation index.
7. In frequency modulation, there is a large increase in noise and hence decrease in the signal to noise ratio.
Explanation: In communication system, Signal-To-Noise ratio (SNR) is a measure of the amount of signal present compared to the surrounding noise. It is the ratio of signal power to noise power. Thus in frequency modulation, there is a large decrease in noise and hence increase in the signal to noise ratio.
8. The output of a battery eliminator is closed to ________
a) 70V DC
b) 70V AC
c) 6V AC
d) 6V DC
Explanation: A battery eliminator is an electronic device which is powered by an external source (except battery) such that it converts the source to a particular DC voltage which can be used as power supply for other devices. It’s output is approximately 6V.
9. In India, the subcarrier frequency for transmission of color difference signals in television is approximately ________
a) 10.47 MHZ
b) 5.4 MHZ
c) 7.67 MHZ
d) 1.3 MHZ
Explanation: A carrier wave is a signal with high frequency which is modulated for transmitting the information signal. A subcarrier is a sideband of the carrier wave, which is also modulated to send additional information. In India, the subcarrier frequency for transmission of color difference signals in television is approximately 1.3MHz.
10. The advantage of using mechanical filter in filter system of sideband suppression is good attenuation characteristics.
Explanation: The advantage of using mechanical filter in filter system of sideband suppression is smaller size, good band pass, good attenuation characteristics.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Analog Communications.
To practice all areas of Analog Communications, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.