This set of Analog Circuits Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Bridge Rectifier”.
1. DC average current of a bridge full wave rectifier is _________
(Where Im is the maximum peak current of input)
Explanation: Average DC current is the average current in the output of rectifier. For a bridge full wave rectifier, if a sinusoidal input is given output will contain only one half cycle repeatedly. So average current will be twice as half wave rectifier.
2. DC power output of bridge full wave rectifier is equal to _________
(Im is the peak current and RL is the load resistance)
a) (2Im2/ ᴨ2)RL
b) (4Im2/ ᴨ2)RL
c) (Im2/ ᴨ2)RL
d) (Im2/2 ᴨ2)RL
Explanation: DC output power is the power output of the rectifier. It is equal to VDCxIDC.
We know VDC for a bridge rectifier is 2Vm/ᴨ and IDC for a bridge rectifier is 2Im/ᴨ. We also know VDC = IDC/RL.
Hence output power is IDC2RL = (4Im2/ᴨ2)RL.
3. Ripple factor of bridge full wave rectifier is _________
Explanation: Ripple factor of a rectifier measures the ripples or AC content in the output. It is obtained by dividing AC rms output with DC output. For full wave bridge rectifier it is 0.482.
4. If input frequency is 50Hz then ripple frequency of bridge full wave rectifier will be equal to _________
Explanation: Since in the output of bridge rectifier one half cycle is repeated hence frequency will twice as that of input frequency. That is 100Hz.
5. Transformer utilization factor of a bridge full wave rectifier is equal to _________
Explanation: Transformer utilization factor is the ratio of AC power delivered to load to the DC power rating. This factor indicates effectiveness of transformer usage by rectifier. For bridge full wave rectifier it is equal to 0.81.
6. If peak voltage on a bridge full wave rectifier circuit is 5V and diode cut-in voltage is 0.7, then peak inverse voltage on diode will be _________
Explanation: PIV is the maximum reveres bias voltage that can be appeared across a diode in the circuit. If PIV rating of the diode is less than this Value breakdown of diode may occur. Therefore, PIV rating of diode should be greater than PIV in the circuit. For bridge rectifier PIV is 5V.
7. Efficiency of bridge full wave rectifier is _________
Explanation: It is obtained by taking ratio of DC power output to maximum AC power delivered to load. Efficiency of a rectifier is the effectiveness of rectifier to convert input power to DC. It is usually expressed in percentage. For bridge full wave rectifier, it is 81.2%.
8. In an bridge full wave rectifier, the input sine wave is 40sin100 ᴨt. The average output voltage is ________
Explanation: The equation of sine wave is in the form Em sin wt.
Hence output voltage is 2Em/ᴨ. That is 80/ᴨ.
9. Number of diodes used in a full wave bridge rectifier is ________
Explanation: The model of bridge rectifier is same as a Wien bridge circuit. Like a Wien bridge circuit needs 4 resistors, bridge rectifier needs 4 diodes while center tap configuration requires only one.
10. In an bridge full wave rectifier, the input sine wave is 250sin100 ᴨt. The output ripple frequency of rectifier will be ________
Explanation: In a bridge full wave rectifier, the input sine wave is 250sin100 ᴨt Volts. The output ripple frequency of rectifier will be 100Hz.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Analog Circuits.
To practice all areas of Analog Circuits, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.