This set of Aircraft Maintenance Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Instrument Shop – Flight Recorders-1”.
1. The underwater locator beacon are able to operate to a depth of up to ___________
a) 60,000 meters
b) 60 meters
c) 600 meters
d) 6,000 meters
Explanation: The underwater locator beacon are able to operate to a depth of up to 6,000 meters, which is approximately 20,000 feet. These beacons are able to operate for up to 30 days.
2. What is the FAA requirement for the recording duration of a CVR?
a) Maximum 2 hours
b) Minimum 2 hours
c) Maximum 6 hours
d) Minimum 6 hours
Explanation: The FAA requirement for the recording duration of a CVR, is minimum of 2 hours, as of 2008. The recording is done for a set of 4 channels.
3. The CVRs using analog wire based recording were replaced by analog ___________ recorders.
a) Optical tape
b) Fiber tape
c) Carbon tape
d) Magnetic tape
Explanation: The CVRs using analog wire based recording were replaced by analog magnetic tape recorders. In such comparatively modern CVRs, the tape used to automatically reverse at each end and a few units also made use of two reels.
4. The CVR is typically mounted in the front of the airplane, to maximize the chances of its survival in a crash.
Explanation: False, the CVR is typically mounted in the rear of the airplane to maximize the chances of its survival in a crash. This is in similarity to the mounting of FDR.
5. Which of the following is not true about solid state recorders?
a) Improve safety
b) Lower maintenance cost than current recorders
c) Require scheduled maintenance
d) Replaces moving components with non-moving components
Explanation: Solid state recorders have the advantage of not requiring scheduled maintenance and thus make the data easier to retrieve. They provide enhanced safety to the aircraft.
6. A flight data recorder must be able to withstand an acceleration of 3400g for ___________
a) 6.5 milliseconds
b) 6.5 seconds
c) 65 seconds
d) 65 milliseconds
Explanation: A flight data recorder must be able to withstand an acceleration of 3400g for 6.5 milliseconds. This requirement is based on the EUROCAE documents.
7. Which of the following is not a parameter required for CVRs and FDRs?
a) Penetration resistance
b) Static crush
d) Fluid immersion
Explanation: Airspeed is not a parameter required for CVRs and FDRs. However, penetration resistance, static crush and fluid immersion are all parameters required for CVRs and FDRs.
8. Which of the following defines the minimum specification to be met for all aircraft requiring flight recorders?
a) EURO ED-112
b) EUROCAE ED-112
c) FAA ED-112
d) EUROCARE ED-112
Explanation: EUROCAE ED-112 defines the minimum specification to be met for all aircraft requiring flight recorders. It may be referred to as Minimum Operational Performance Specification for Crash Protected Airborne Recorder Systems.
9. The underwater locator beacon is automatically activated in the event of an accident.
Explanation: True, the underwater locator beacon is automatically activated in the event of an accident. This is to help in the recovery of the instrument so as to probe the details of the accident.
10. The CVRs and FDRs must be able to withstand a crushing distance of ___________
Explanation: The CVRs and FDRs must be able to withstand a crushing distance of 45cm, which is approximately 18 inches. It also should be able to resist an impact velocity of 270 knots.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aircraft Maintenance.
To practice all areas of Aircraft Maintenance, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!