This set of Aircraft Maintenance Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Glass Cockpit”.
1. A traditional cockpit may also be referred as __________
a) Steam cockpit
b) Electric cockpit
c) Gasoline cockpit
d) Thermal cockpit
Explanation: A traditional cockpit may also be referred as a steam cockpit. Such cockpits rely on numerous mechanical gauges to display information.
2. Attitude and heading reference systems and air data computers have replaced __________
a) Nautical flight instruments
b) Hydraulic flight instruments
c) Thermal flight instruments
d) Gyroscopic flight instruments
Explanation: Attitude and heading reference systems and air data computers have replaced the traditional gyroscopic flight instruments. These systems improve reliability and maintenance cost.
3. What is the full form of ISIS?
a) Integrated station instrument system
b) Independent standby instrument system
c) Integrated standby instrument system
d) Integrated static instrument system
Explanation: The term ISIS in aviation terminology refers to integrated standby instrument system. The system acts as a backup instrument, in case there is a failure in the glass cockpit instrument system.
4. The Boeing 2707 was one of the earliest commercial aircraft to be designed with a glass cockpit.
Explanation: True, the Boeing 2707 was one of the earliest commercial aircraft to be designed with a glass cockpit. However, the 2707 aircraft was cancelled in 1971 after a large number of technical difficulties.
5. The Airbus A380 is fitted with glass cockpits consisting of _________ units.
Explanation: The Airbus A380 is fitted with glass cockpits consisting of LCD units. The A350, 777, and 787 aircrafts also feature similar units.
6. Which of the following was the first orbiter to be retrofitted with a glass cockpit?
Explanation: The Atlantis orbiter was the first to feature a glass cockpit. The glass cockpits were retrofitted on the orbiter and were not present initially. The process was done in the year 2000.
7. What is the full form of EVS?
a) Electronic Vision systems
b) End Vision systems
c) Enlarged Vision systems
d) Enhanced Vision systems
Explanation: EVS refers to Enhanced Vision systems. These systems add real time information from external sensors, such as an infrared camera.
8. Which of the following systems display a realistic 3D depiction of the outside world?
a) Virtual Vision systems
b) Enhanced Vision systems
c) Synthetic Vision systems
d) Actual Vision systems
Explanation: The Synthetic Vision systems, referred to as SVS display a realistic 3D depiction of the outside world. The representation is based on a database of terrain and geophysical features.
9. Which of the following is not used as a pilot-input device in a computer-style environment?
a) Pressure sensors
c) Thumb pad
Explanation: Pressure sensors are not used as a pilot input device in a computer-style environment. However, a trackball, thumb pad or joystick is used as a pilot input device.
10. The ISIS is electronically separate from the main instruments.
Explanation: True, the ISIS is electronically separate from the main instruments. It can run for several hours on a backup battery and includes an artificial horizon, altimeter and airspeed indicator.
11. Which of the following is not an aircraft equipped with glass cockpit?
a) Diamond DA42
b) Cessna 172
c) Boeing 777
d) Wright Flyer
Explanation: The Wright Flyer is not an aircraft equipped with glass cockpit. However, Diamond DA42, Cessna 172 and the Boeing 777 are all equipped with glass cockpits.
12. Glass cockpits eliminate the need for a _________
b) Flight engineer
c) Co pilot
Explanation: The glass cockpits eliminate the need for a flight engineer. They are thus popular with airline companies as they usually bring down costs.
13. Which of the following was the first light aircraft to feature glass cockpits?
a) Airbus A380
b) Boeing 737
c) Cessna 172
d) Cirrus SR22
Explanation: The Cirrus SR22 aircraft, manufactured by Cirrus Aircraft was the first light aircraft to feature glass cockpits. In a few years, the manufacturer made these glass cockpits standard on all its aircraft.
14. The F-35’s features a glass cockpit touchscreen dubbed as __________
a) Panoramic cockpit display
b) Infinite cockpit display
c) Advanced cockpit display
d) Clean cockpit display
Explanation: The F-35’s features a glass cockpit touchscreen dubbed as a panoramic cockpit display. The aircraft features a helmet mounted display system and lacks a head up display.
15. Glass cockpits also add terrain, approach charts and 3D navigation images.
Explanation: True, the glass cockpits also add terrain, approach charts and 3D navigation images. They resemble other computers, having windows and data that can be manipulated using point and click devices.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aircraft Maintenance.
To practice all areas of Aircraft Maintenance, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!