This set of Aircraft Maintenance Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Aircraft Electronics – Aileron”.
1. Aileron is a ________ word.
Explanation: Aileron is a French word. It refers to little wing or fin in the French language. It is a hinged flight control surface that improves the aerodynamic stability of an aircraft.
2. Ailerons are used to control the aircraft in _________
Explanation: The ailerons are used to control the aircraft in roll. Roll refers to the movement of the aircraft around its longitudinal axis. This is a vital and crucial aspect of flight control.
3. The modern aileron was invented in 2000.
Explanation: False, the modern aileron was invented 1868 and patented in the same year. It was invented by the British scientist Matthew Piers Watt Boulton based on his 1864 paper on Aerial Locomotion.
4. What is the movement around the longitudinal axis called?
Explanation: The aircrafts movement around its longitudinal axis is called banking. It may also be referred to as rolling and it results in a change in flight path due to the tilting of the lift vector.
5. Aileron is located on the trailing edge of the _________
Explanation: The aileron is located on the trailing edge of the wings. It is their on each wing of a fixed wing aircraft and is used in pairs.
6. What did the Wright brothers use instead of ailerons for roll control on their glider in 1902?
c) Wing wrapping
d) Wing warping
Explanation: The Wright brothers used wing warping instead of ailerons for roll control on their glider in 1902. The Wright Brothers were successful in having better roll control in comparison to the early airplanes that made use of movable surfaces.
7. Which of the following is used to effectively compensate adverse yaw?
Explanation: The adverse yaw is effectively compensated by the use of the rudder. It results in a side force on the vertical tail which in turn opposes the adverse yaw by creating a favorable yawing moment.
8. When one aileron is moved downward, the other is moved _________
Explanation: When one aileron is moved downward, the other is moved upward. The ailerons work in pairs and are typically inter connected.
9. Trim tabs are located at or near the trailing edge of the _________
Explanation: The trim tabs in an aircraft are commonly located at or near the trailing edge of the aileron. These tabs are basically small and movable sections that resemble and work similar to scaled down ailerons.
10. Trim tabs are fixed.
Explanation: False, the trim tabs come in two forms: adjustable and fixed. These tabs are provided to adjust or trim out the pressure needed against any unwanted movement.
11. As an aileron is deflected upward, the spade produces a _________ aerodynamic force.
Explanation: As an aileron is deflected upward, the spade produces a downward aerodynamic force. This tends to rotate the entire assembly so as to further deflect the aileron upward.
12. Which of the following trim tab can be controlled from within the cockpit?
a) Adjustable trim tab
b) Automatic trim tab
c) Fixed trim tab
d) Hydraulic trim tab
Explanation: The adjustable trim tab can be controlled from within the cockpit. It is locate such that different power settings or flight attitudes can be compensated for.
13. The down going aileron __________ the lift on its wing.
Explanation: The down going aileron increases the lift on its wing. In contrary the up-going aileron reduces the lift on its wing, producing a rolling.
14. Which of the following is an unwanted side effect of aileron?
a) Adverse roll
b) Adverse yaw
c) Adverse pitch
d) Adverse incline
Explanation: Adverse yaw is an unwanted side effect of aileron. Adverse yaw refers to a yawing moment in the opposite direction to the roll.
15. Spoilers are used to supplement ailerons.
Explanation: True, spoilers are used to supplement ailerons. They are devices which when extended into the airflow over a wing, disrupt the airflow.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aircraft Maintenance.
To practice all areas of Aircraft Maintenance, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!