This set of Aircraft Maintenance Problems focuses on “Aircraft Electronics – Electro-Static Sensitive Devices-2”.
1. Which of the following antistatic bags are manufactured with a layer of conductive metal?
a) Shielding antistatic bags
b) Dissipative antistatic bags
c) Conductive antistatic bags
d) Grounding antistatic bags
Explanation: The conductive antistatic bags are manufactured with a layer of conductive metal. The conductive metal is often aluminum along with a dielectric layer of plastic covered in a static dissipative coating.
2. A static bag is used for storing or shipping electronic components which may be prone to damage caused by electrostatic discharge.
Explanation: False, in order to store components that are prone to damage caused ESD, manufacturers make use of antistatic bags. These bags prevent any damage to the components that may be caused due to ESD.
3. What is the color of conductive foam used for storing electronic components, prone to ESD?
Explanation: The conductive foam used for storing electronic components, prone to ESD is black in color. Foam also exists in pink, but it is dissipative in nature.
4. For the ESD garments to work appropriately, they must also be connected to _________
Explanation: In order for ESD garments to function appropriately, it is mandatory for the garment to have connection with the ground, i.e. ground reference. These garments may not be sufficient to prevent a person from ESD, and thus additional devices for ESD prevention may also be required.
5. Metalized bags are more fragile than their non-metal counterparts.
Explanation: True, non-metalized bags are much more durable in comparison to their metal counterparts. Non-metal bags also offer longer shelf life in comparison to the metal bags, which have a much shorter shelf life.
6. Which of the following will provide no ground reference?
a) Metal mat
b) Conducting mat
c) Insulating mat
d) Static mat
Explanation: Out of the given options, an insulating mat will offer no ground reference. In other terms, the mat will not have grounding and may not be safe for repairing and overhaul of ESD components.
7. What is the typical resistance of an antistatic mat, between points on the mat and to ground?
a) 105 ohms to 108 ohms
b) 105 kilo ohms to 108 kilo ohms
c) 108 ohms to 1010 ohms
d) 108 kilo ohms to 1010 kilo ohms
Explanation: The typical resistance of an antistatic mat, between points on the mat and to ground is between 105 ohms to 108 ohms. The antistatic mat is one of a number of antistatic devices designed to help eliminate static electricity.
8. The safety wrist strap is connected to the ground port by means of a ________ mega ohm resistor.
Explanation: The safety wrist strap is connected to the ground port by means of a 1 mega ohm resistor. This connection is made using a retractable cable that is coiled along its entire length.
9. The role of an antistatic agent is to make the surface or material slightly _________
Explanation: The role of an antistatic agent is to make the surface or material slightly conductive. The antistatic agent is a compound used for the treatment of materials, in order to eliminate the buildup of static electricity.
10. Which of the following materials is generally referred to as a material which possess triboelectric charging?
Explanation: Materials that possess tribo electric charging may also be referred to as anti-static materials. Such charging is done by getting the material in physical contact with another material.
11. Static charges remain in place on insulative materials for a very long time.
Explanation: True, static charges remain in place on insulative materials for a very long time. Such materials have a high electrical resistance and are difficult to ground.
12. Which of the following is not an ESD material?
Explanation: Out of the given set of options, insulative materials are not ESD compliant materials. These materials hamper the movement of electrons through their surface. Further, they exhibit high electrical resistance and are not favored for use.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aircraft Maintenance.
To practice all areas of Aircraft Maintenance Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.