This set of Aircraft Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Configuration Layout Considerations – Visual Detectability”.
1. Visual detection is based on?
a) A/C size, color, etc
b) Only size
c) Only weight
d) Only color
Explanation: Visual detection is affected by size, color etc. How much wider or longer or big is my aircraft? Will affect its visual detection. Color of my aircraft with respect to background will affect visual detection as well.
2. Visual detection is one of the important parameters for an aircraft.
Explanation: The human eye can locate an aircraft due to its visual aspects. Visually, contrails can be spotted easily and it will be the indication of an aircraft. Hence, visual detection is one of the important parameters.
3. Which of the following is correct?
a) Typically, in simulated combat we can detect large aircraft quickly than the smaller aircraft
b) Lift is always the same as weight
c) We cannot detect large aircraft at all
d) We can always find small aircraft
Explanation: Lift is not always the same as weight. We can detect large aircraft based on its visual parameters. Small aircraft can be found by using its color, noise, etc. Hence, the correct option will be in simulated combat we can detect large aircraft quickly than the smaller aircraft. This is primarily due to its size.
4. In order to reduce background contrast, we can provide ____________
a) camouflage pattern
b) red color pattern only
c) always use black color
d) always use red and black pattern
Explanation: By using a red color pattern we are making our aircraft to look more vibrant which will increase its chances of detection. Camouflage patterns can be used in order to reduce background contrast.
5. For ground background, camouflage paint scheme consists ______________
a) mottled grey green
b) mottled white
c) black and red
d) yellow and red only
Explanation: For ground background, camouflage paint pattern consists of mottled grey green typically. Apart from this, grey-brown combination is also used as camouflage paint for ground background.
6. Camouflage patterns for sky background will include ______________
a) dirty blue-grey
b) clean red
c) clean pink
d) dirty red always
Explanation: For sky background, camouflage paint pattern consists of dirty blue-grey typically. Apart from this, grey-brown combination is also used as camouflage paint for the ground background.
7. A. Typical aircraft will have lighter colors at lower surface.
R. The background lookup angle is sky.
a) Both [A] and [R] are true and [R] is the correct reason for [A]
b) Both [A] and [R] are true but [R] is not the correct reason for [A]
c) Both [A] and [R] are false
d) [A] is false but [R] is true
Explanation: An aircraft will be spending major time in the sky. Hence, it is required to use lighter colors at lower surface as the background lookup angle is sky. It will reduce the contrast of an aircraft with respect to sky and will improve visual detection.
8. Higher contrast between different parts of aircraft will _____________
a) increase detectability
c) increases twice times always
d) always decreases by two units
Explanation: Contrast between two parts of an aircraft will increase visual detectability. Higher contrast makes it easy to be seen visually. We can reduce contrast so that we can improve visual detection of the aircraft.
9. Which of the following is correct?
a) Canopy glint can affect the visual detection of an aircraft
b) Canopy glint will have zero effect on visual detection
c) Weight is lift all time
d) Thrust is drag all the time
Explanation: Canopy glint can affect the visual detection of an aircraft. Weight is not always similar to lift. Thrust is not always same as drag.
10. An observer is observing in an aircraft from distance of 2400 feet. If size of the aircraft can be given as 24000 feet then, what will be the simplified value of visual angle in minutes of arc? Consider all simplified environment and ideal conditions.
Explanation: Given, distance d = 2400 feet, length l=24000 ft.
Visual angles in minutes of arcs = 3438*l/d = 3438*24000/2400 = 34380.
11. If my aircraft has luminance of 10 unit and is designed to operate in background which has luminance of 8 unit then, what will be the approximate value of contrast?
a) 0.25 unit
Explanation: Given, luminance of A/C L1=10unit, luminance of background L2 = 8unit.
Approximate contras value C = |L1-L2|/L2 = |10-8|/8 = 2/8 = 0.25 unit.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aircraft Design.
To practice all areas of Aircraft Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.