This set of Advanced Mass Transfer Questions & Answers focuses on “Design of Extractor for Single Stage Operations”.
1. Stages in the extractor are _______________
a) Equilibrium stages
b) Theoretical stages
c) Equilibrium or theoretical stages
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: The extractor stages are maintained in equilibrium to get the effect mass transfer.
2. Extraction includes mixing alone.
Explanation: Extraction needs mixing and separation.
3. Every stage of extractor act as mixer and settler in the extraction process.
Explanation: Every extracting process needs mixing and separating unit.
Explanation: Pure solvent in the sense no solute present initially so ys= 0.
5. Find the rate of extract in mol/hr if
Explanation: Feed + solvent = Extract + residue
100+50-25 = 125 mol/hr.
6. Is the extraction is possible if a gas solvent is used for extracting solute from liquid mixture.
Explanation: The extraction is possible only if liquid-liquid equilibrium occurs. If gas solvent is used such equilibrium cannot be achieve.
Explanation: Here stage used is one and there is a continuous input and output so the process is a single stage continuous process.
Explanation: M= F+M= R+S =80.
9. Find the pure solvent rate if the feed ( F= 100 kmol/hr) composition is 0.65 and mixture solute composition is 0.5.
a) 10 kmol/hr
b) 20 kmol/hr
c) 30 kmol/hr
d) 40 kmol/hr
Explanation: S/F = 0.65- 0.5/0.5 -0
= 100 x 0.3 = 30 kmol/hr.
10. Find the mixture composition of feed and pure solvent if the ratio of solvent to feed rate is 0.5 and the feed composition is 0.5.
Explanation: S/F= 0.5-x/x-0
0.5x+x = 0.5 then x= 0.33.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Mass Transfer.
To practice advanced questions on all areas of Mass Transfer, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers