This set of Structural Analysis online test focuses on “Force Method of Analysis: General Procedure”.
In above figure, joint A is fixed and joint B is pinned. C lies in between A and B and a load of P are applied there.
Δb = Displacement caused when vertical support at point B is chosen to be neglected.
By = redundant force
1. How many unknowns are there in the above figure?
Explanation: 4 unknown forces are there, 3 forces and one moment.
2. The above structure is statically indeterminate.
State whether the above sentence is true or false.
Explanation: 4 unknown forces and 3 reactions are there. So, it is statically indeterminate.
3. This structure is made redundant by temporarily removing how many support reactions?
Explanation: As the degree of indeterminacy is one, one of the support reactions is chosen to be redundant.
4. Which of the following forces can’t be chosen to be redundant?
a) Vertical support at point A
c) Vertical support at B
d) Moment at A
Explanation: Load P can’t be chosen as this is the load causing deflection. Rest all support forces can be chosen to be redundant.
5. Δ/ bb refers to displacement cause by By.
What does first b in Δ/ bb stands for?
a) Where unknown reaction acts
b) Point whose deflection is considered
c) Can be anything
d) Depends upon load applied
Explanation: First b refers to the point where load is specified, second B refers to the point where load is applied.
6. What is the compatibility equation for the above mentioned condition?
a) Δ/ bb – Δb = 0
b) Δ/ bb + Δb = 0
c) Δ/ bb – Δb > 0
d) Δ/ bb – Δb < 0
Explanation: Both the displacement will be opposite in direction and equal in magnitude.
7. How much load acts and in which direction at point B for the displacement to be fbb?
a) Unit, opposite to By
b) Unit, same as by
c) Small, opposite to By
d) Large, same as By
Explanation: Displacement caused by unit load acting in the direction of By is termed as fbb.
8. Which one of the following describes fbb?
a) Δ/ bb / By
b) By/ Δ / bb
c) Δ/ bb – By
d) Δ/ bb + By
Explanation: Δ/ bb is actual displacement caused by By, and fbb is caused by unit load. So, its fbb times By Δ/ bb/By.
9. According to maxwell’s theorem:-
a) fab = faa
b) fbb = faa
c) fba = fab
d) fba = fbb
Explanation: The displacement of a point B on a structure due to a unit load acting at point A is equal to the displacement of point A when the unit load is acting at point B.
10. Maxwell’s theorem doesn’t apply when external moments are placed on the beam.
State whether the above statement is true or false.
Explanation: It is also applicable when external moments are acting on the structure instead of forces.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Structural Analysis.
To practice all areas of Structural Analysis for online tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.