This set of Steam and Gas Turbines Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Introduction”.
1. Gas turbines burn fuel to run their turbines.
Explanation: Gas turbines have combustors where fuels are burned and the exhaust at high pressure is used to run the turbine.
2. Gas turbine is also called as _______________
a) Velocity turbine
b) Steam turbine
c) Combustion turbine
Explanation: In gas turbines fuel is combusted in combustor and hence it is also called as combustion turbines.
3. In gas turbine upstream compressor is connected to downstream turbine.
Explanation: In gas turbines both compressor and turbine are connected by same shaft.
4. Gas turbine is a type of ___________ combustion engine.
Explanation: In gas turbine combustion takes place inside the engine and hence it is also a type of internal combustion engines.
5. _________ gas turbines are called as Auxiliary power units.
Explanation: Smaller gas turbines are called as auxiliary power units.
6. Auxiliary power units are used to supply __________ air for air conditioning and ventilation.
a) low pressure
b) high pressure
c) medium pressure
Explanation: APUs supply compressed air for air conditioning. High pressure air is also called as compressed air.
7. All modern helicopters are powered by _________ engines.
a) Turbo shaft
b) Turbo jet
c) Turbo prop
Explanation: Turbo shaft engines are used to power trains, helicopters etc.
8. Micro turbines are used to power _________
a) None of the mentioned
b) Air crafts
d) Hybrid vehicles
Explanation: Micro turbines are used to power hybrid vehicles whereas air crafts are powered by turbofans, turbojets etc.
9. Micro turbines are also known as ___________
a) Turbo alternators
b) Turbo generators
Explanation: Micro turbines are also called as turbo alternators.
10. Micro turbines are also called as ____________
a) Turbo alternators
b) Both of the mentioned
c) Turbo generators
Explanation: Micro turbines are also called as turbo generators.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Steam and Gas Turbines.
To practice all areas of Steam and Gas Turbines, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.