This is a Python Program to count the number of lines in a text file.
The program takes the file name from the user and counts number of lines in that file.
1. Take the file name from the user.
2. Read each line from the file and increment the count variable
3. Print the line count.
Here is source code of the Python Program to count the number of lines in a text file. The program output is also shown below.
fname = input("Enter file name: ") num_lines = 0 with open(fname, 'r') as f: for line in f: num_lines += 1 print("Number of lines:") print(num_lines)
1. User must enter a file name.
2. The file is opened using the open() function in the read mode.
3. A for loop is used to read through each line in the file.
4. The line count is incremented each time and the final count is printed.
Case 1: Contents of file: Hello world Output: Enter file name: data1.txt Number of lines: 1 Case 2: Contents of file: This programming language is Python Output: Enter file name: data2.txt Number of lines: 2
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Python Programs.
To practice all Python programs, here is complete set of 150+ Python Problems and Solutions.