This set of Machine Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers focuses on “Rivet Heads & Terminology”.
1. Which of the following rivet head consist of frustum of cone attached to the shank?
a) Pan head rivet
b) Countersunk head rivet
c) Flat head rivet
d) Cone head rivet
Explanation: Cone head rivet consist of frustum of cone attached to shank.
2. Among flat head and snap head rivet, which has the higher head height?
d) There is no such relation
Explanation: Flat head has lesser height of protruding head and thus it does not weaken the plates being assembled.
3. Which of the following are used in light sheet metal work?
a) Tinmen’s rivets
b) Snap head rivets
c) Button head rivets
d) Each of the mentioned
Explanation: Tinmen’s rivets are flat head rivets of small sizes.
4. Two plates each of thickness t are to be riveted together. If length of shank portion necessary to form the closing head is a, then length of rivet shank is given by?
d) Can’t be determined
5. A strap is used in a lap joint which is riveted to each of the two plates.
Explanation: That joint is called butt joint.
6. What is the other name for pitch?
a) Transverse pitch
b) Back pitch
c) Row pitch
d) None of the listed
Explanation: Transverse, back and row pitch are all same. It is the distance b/w two consecutive rows of pitch.
7. Are the rivets subjected any bending moment in case of lap joint?
Explanation: The rivets are subjected to bending moment which causes distortion.
8. Lozenge joint is a kind of lap joint.
Explanation: Lozenge joint is another name for diamond joint and it is a kind of butt joint.
9. Can we use rivets of the same materials as the parts to be joined?
Explanation: Heterogeneous material may lead to formation of galvanic pairs which can cause corrosion.
10. Failure in rivet occurs by which mode?
d) Each of the mentioned
Explanation: Rivet may fail by shearing, plates between two rivets can undergo tensile failure and plates might fail by crushing.
11. Fullering is done with a pointed tool.
Explanation: Fullering is done to close the joint with a tool of thickness same as that of the plate.
12. Calculate the diameter of the rivets by shear considerations if permissible shear stress in rivets is 60N/mm² and P=15kN.
Explanation: P=4x[τ x πd²/4].
13. Calculate the diameter of the rivets by crushing consideration if permissible compression stress in rivets is 120N/mm², thickness of plate 3mm and P=15kN.
Explanation: P=4x[d t σ].
14. Calculate width of the band if permissible tensile stress is 80N/mm². Force P=15kN and diameter of the rivet can be taken as 9mm. Given thickness=3mm
15. If diameter of rivets is 9mm, then margin can be taken as?
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Machine Design.
To practice multiple choice questions in all areas of Machine Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.