This set of Linear Integrated Circuit Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Integrated Circuits, Types & Manufacturer’s Design-1”.
1) What is the best choice of IC package used for experimental purpose?
a) DIP package
b) Metal can package
c) Flat pack
d) Transistor pack
Explanation: DIP package are used as it is easy to mount. The mounting does not require bending or soldering of the leads.
2. What is the general information specified in ordering an IC?
a) All of the mentioned
b) Device type
c) Package type
d) Temperature range
Explanation: Generally, in ordering an IC, all the three informations must be specified.
3. Find the ordering information for µA741TC.
a) Sprague 741 DIP with Industrial temperature range
b) Intersil 741 DIP with commercial temperature range
c) Fairchilds 741 DIP with commercial temperature range
d) Texas instrument 741 metal can with Industrial temperature range
Explanation: Here “µA” represents the identifying initials used by Fairchild,
T represents Mini DIP package and C represents Commercial temperature range.
4. How a Motorola IC with plastic DIP and commercial temperature range is ordered?
a) ICLxxxP -> 0o to 75oc
b) CAxxE -> -55o to +125oc
c) LMxxxxA -> -40o to+85oc
d) MCxxxP -> 0o to 70oc
Explantion: The ordering format for a typical Motorola IC is,
MCxxxx –> Device type
P –> Package type(Plastic DIP)
0o to 70oc –> Temperature range (Commercial).
5. What does the 1-2-3 numbering system used in National Semiconductor IC denotes
a) Validity in years
b) Temperature range
c) Package type
d) Ordering information
Explanation: In National linear ICs, a 1-2-3 numbering system is used to represent the temperature range.
6. How does a industrial temperature range device in National Semiconductor IC is represented?
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: In LM201, the number 2 denotes an industrial temperature range device.
7. Use device identification method to find the IC of Fairchild chip manufactured in the year 1980.
Explanation: In the chip, 80 represent the manufactured year
8. Dual-In-Line pack is considered to be suitable for mounting because,
a) Easy to handle
b) Fits mounting hardware
c) All of the mentioned
Explanation: DIP pack is easy to handle, fit standard mounting hardware and is inexpensive when moulded on plastic.
9. What is the use of notch and dot in DIP ICs?
a) Determine the pin configuration
b) Designed to represent device type
c) Represent property of IC
d) Find the pin number
Explanation: A notch and dot as viewed form top view is used to find the pin terminal. The terminals are numbered counter clockwise.
10. How an eight pin Dual-In-Line Package is shortly named
a) 8p DIP
b) Maxi DIP
c) Mini DIP
d) ES DIP
Explanation: An eight pin Dual-In-Line Package is called as Mini DIP as it is used for devices with minimum number of inputs and outputs.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Linear Integrated Circuit.