This set of Genetic Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Synthesis of RNA”.
1. Cloning vectors designed for the purpose of synthesis of RNA and proteins are known as:
a) Cloning vectors
b) RNA vectors
c) Bacteriophage vectors
d) Expression vectors
Explanation: Expression vectors are those vectors which are used for the synthesis of RNA and protein i.e. cloned DNA sequences are used for expression.
2. For studying processes such as splicing and cleavage, RNA is required. Choose the correct statement for this.
a) A mixture of different types of RNA is required
b) Two types of RNA are required
c) A few contaminating proteins are required
d) Sodium hydroxide is required
Explanation: For studying RNA processing events such as splicing and cleavage, RNA is required. Here, a single type of RNA is required and along with it a few contaminating proteins are also used.
3. RNA can be synthesized by using vector. A vector with _______ is used and further through ________ RNA is isolated.
a) origin of replication, translation
b) promoter, transcription
c) promoter, translation
d) origin of replication, transcription
Explanation: Vectors can be used at times for synthesis of RNA. A vector with promoter is used and transcription is carried out in a bacterial cell and afterwards RNA is isolated.
4. Isolation of RNA can be carried out easily from bacterial cells. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: Isolation of RNA can’t be carried out easily from bacterial cells. Hence, production of RNA is carried out by transcription of cloned DNA.
5. Promoters are generally used after isolation from:
a) bacteriophage T7
b) bacteriophage SP6
c) baceriophage Mu
d) both bacteriophage T7 and SP6
Explanation: Promoters used for synthesis of RNA are generally obtained from bacteriophage T7 and SP6. They can also be obtained rarely from bacteriophage T3.
6. By selecting the appropriate polymerase to activate the promoter, ________ can be carried out _______
a) transcription, regardless of orientation
b) transcription, only in one orientation
c) translation, regardless of orientation
c) translation, only in one orientation
Explanation: By selecting the appropriate polymerase to activate the promoter, transcription can be carried out but it is regardless of the orientation.
7. Guanylyl transferase and GTP are used for?
c) Capping of the message
Explanation: At times, capping of the message is very necessary. Capping can be achieved by incubating the transcripts with enzymes such as guanylyl transferase and GTP.
8. Capping can be introduced by the use of cap analogue. Which of the statement is true?
a) Cap analogue can be introduced at the end of the transcript
b) Cap analogue can be introduced at the start of the transcript
c) Cap analogue can be introduced anywhere in the transcript
d) Cap analogue can be introduced both at the end and starting of the transcript
Explanation: For achieving capping, cap analogue should be introduced. Cap analogue should be introduced at the starting of the transcript. It is so because it requires 5’ end.
9. If transcription should not be carried out beyond the insert in the vector, then it should be linearized. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: If the transcription should not be carried out beyond the insert in the vector, then it should be linearized. It can be done by digesting with restriction enzyme.
10. If the cells containing plasmids are infected with helper phage, which type of DNA can be produced, packaged and secreted into the medium?
a) Single stranded DNA
b) Double stranded DNA
c) Both single and double stranded DNA
d) Circular DNA
Explanation: If the cells containing plasmids are infected with helper phage, then single stranded DNA can be produced, packaged and secreted into the medium.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Genetic Engineering.
To practice all areas of Genetic Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.