This set of Genetic Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Organelle Transformation”.
1. Mitochondrial genome encodes tRNAs, _____ and polypeptides involved in _______
a) mRNAs, oxidative phosphorylation
b) rRNAs, oxidative phosphorylation
c) rRNAs, reductive phosphorylation
d) mRNAs, reductive phosphorylation
Explanation: Mitochondrial genome encodes tRNAs, rRNAs and polypeptides which are required for oxidative phosphorylation. tRNAs and rRNAs are also encoded by chloroplast genome.
2. Atrazine is a herbicide and it acts on:
a) reaction centre in photosystemI
b) reaction centre in photosytemII
c) reaction centre in both the photosystems
d) neither of the photosystems
Explanation: Atrazine is a herbicide and it acts on a reaction centre present in photosystem II. This herbicide is a product of chloroplast psbA gene.
3. Allotopic gene expression is the case when the presence of a normal gene in an organelle is not a problem in expression. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: At times, the presence of normal gene in the organelle doesn’t creates a problem and thus inserting modified organelle genes into the nucleus may be expressed well. Such expression is called as allotropic gene expression.
4. atpB encodes _______ subunit of ATPsynthase, an enzyme used for generation of ______
a) beta, ADP
b) alpha, ATP
c) beta, ATP
d) alpha, ADP
Explanation: atpB encodes beta subunit of ATPsynthase, it is a multisubunit complex used for generation ATP and it is done in the presence of light reaction.
5. Bacterial aadA gene is responsible for conferring resistance to:
d) spectomycin and streptomycin
Explanation: Bacterial aadA gene is responsible for conferring resistance to both streptomycin and spectomycin. It is used a selectable marker for chloroplast transformation.
6. How many types of chloroplast are there in Chlamydomonas?
Explanation: Chlamydomonas is having only one type of chloroplast and this property makes it easier to use it for transformation.
7. For transformation of chloroplast of higher plants, a vector is used which ______ in the chloroplast.
a) doesn’t replicates
c) may or may not replicate
d) replicates under certain specified conditions
Explanation: For transformation of chloroplast of higher plants, a vector is used which doesn’t replicates in the chloroplast. There is a selectable marker which is present and the gene of interest is flanked by chloroplast DNA.
8. Chloroplast can be transferred through pollen in all crops. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: Cholorplast can’t be transferred through pollen for all the crops. Thus incorporation of transgenes in chloroplast may offer more biological containment then that incorporation into nucleus may offer.
9. Mutant strains of Saccharomyces cervevisiae in which endogenous DNA are deleted are called as:
b) synthetic rho
Explanation: Mutant strains of Saccharomyces cervevisiae in which endogenous DNA are deleted are called as rho0. Synthetic rho- strains are produced when DNA is introduced into mitochondria and concatamers are produced.
10. COX3 gene is a selectable marker. Choose the correct statement with respect to it.
a) It confers the ability to grow by anaerobic respiration
b) It confers the ability to grow by aerobic respiration
c) It confers the ability to grow in absence of uracil
d) It confers the ability to grow in lithium acetate medium
Explanation: COX3 gene is used as a selectable marker. It confers the ability to grow by aerobic respiration in the mutant cells for mitochondrial COX3 gene.
11. The ARG8m gene which produces an enzyme for arginine biosynthesis is located in _______ and is of ______ origin.
a) mitochondrial, nuclear
b) nuclear, mitochondrial
c) nuclear, nuclear
d) mitochondrial, mitochondrial
Explanation: The ARG8m gene which produces an enzyme for arginine biosynthesis is located in the mitochondria but is of nuclear origin. It is designed for expression in the mitochondrion and will confer the ability to grow in the absence of arginine.
12. Barstar is:
b) RNAse inhibitor
d) DNAse inhibitor
Explanation: Barstar is RNAse inhibitor. And Barsar is RNAse and inhibitor is used as a selectable marker. Barsar is used for degrading the mitochondrial RNA. Barstar added helps in suppressing the function of Barsar and thus restoration of mitochondrial function takes place.
13. Caenorhabditis elegans is a model organism of great importance in biological systems. It is a/an:
Explanation: Caenorhabditis elegans is a model organism of great importance in biological systems and it is a nematode. The genetic manipulation of the organism is quite complex.
14. DNA can be injected into Caenorhabditis elegans by biolistic transformation. The injected DNA forms arrays of extrochromosomal copies which are stable in nature. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: DNA can be injected into Caenorhabditis elegans by biolistic transformation. The injected DNA forms extrachromosomal copies but these are not stable in nature. This can be avoided by the incorporation of poison sequences.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Genetic Engineering.
To practice all areas of Genetic Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.