This set of Steam and Gas Turbines Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Starting and Performance”.
1. In order For turbine to get started air must start flowing ______ to start combustion.
Explanation: In a gas turbine in order to start a combustion oxygen is required and hence air must start flowing initially.
2. Watt/s is called as a _______
b) kilo newton
c) kilo newton/metre
Explanation: Watt/s is called as a joule.
3. When amount of energy required is high the life of gas turbine ________
a) not related
Explanation: When amount of energy required is high the life of gas turbine decreases. Because when amount of power required is high its load increases beyond the limit and hence life decreases.
4. In gas turbines _________ output igniters are used at the starting.
Explanation: In gas turbines low output igniters are used when the turbine needs to be run continuously.
5. Electronic igniters can be adjusted as per the required ________
Explanation: Electronic igniters are used as per the required output.
6. When gas turbine is required to operate continuously then power output is ________
Explanation: When gas turbine is required to operate continuously the power output is to be reduced as continuous supply of output is needed.
7. When the energy output is __________, igniters life also increases.
Explanation: When the igniters life is to be increased then the energy output is decreased. When igniters are used to produce high outputs their life is decreased.
8. Gas turbines has _________ pressure high volume fuel pumps.
Explanation: Gas turbines has low pressure and high volume fuel pumps. In gas turbines pressure energy in the working fluid is used to increase volume.
9. In some gas turbines cavitations are _______ by using fuel cooled oil cooler.
d) cavitations are not caused due to oil cooler
Explanation: In fuel cooled oil cooler it heats the fuel to high temperature so that the water droplets present in the fuel gets evaporated and hence prevents the cavitation.
10. In gear type fuel pumps bypass action is due to spill valve.
Explanation: In gear type fuel pump the bypass action is carried out by spill valve.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Steam and Gas Turbines.
To practice all areas of Steam and Gas Turbines, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.