This set of Forming Multiple Choice Questions & Answers focuses on “Forging Temperatures”.
1. Low carbon steels can be started to forge at what temperature?
Explanation: Low carbon soft steels are generally used for making seamless and welded steel pipes, which can be used at very low temperatures. They can be forged at a temperature range of 1250°C to 1300°C.
2. Low carbon steels get forged at what temperature?
3. At what temperature does the high carbon steel get forged?
Explanation: The high carbon steel is provided heat treatment, after this, the steel is allowed to quench and then tempered. They can be forged at a temperature of 1100°C.
4. At what temperature does alloy steel get forged?
Explanation: For the improvisation of mechanical and physical properties of the materials, a variety of materials are added and to make it an alloying steel. The temperature at which alloy steel can be forged is in the range of 825°C to 875°C.
5. At what temperature does wrought irons get forged?
a) Below 1000°C
b) Below 1100°C
c) Below 1200°C
d) Below 1300°C
Explanation: Wrought irons are identified as alloys of iron which contain very low amount of carbon in them. Wrought irons can be forged at a temperature below 1300°C.
6. What is the forging temperature of brass?
Explanation: Brass is an alloy of mainly two metals being, copper and zinc. These two metals can substitute each other’s place in the structure of the alloy. The temperature at which brass gets forged is about 600oC.
7. What is the forging temperature of bronze?
Explanation: Bronze is an alloy which essentially contains copper in it and generally is found to contain about 12% of tin. It may also have some other additives in it like, manganese, zinc or nickel. The temperature at which bronze gets forged is about 950°C.
8. What is the forging temperature of magnesium alloys?
Explanation: Metals such as zinc, copper, zirconium, silicon or aluminium are mixed with magnesium to form a magnesium alloy. In terms of structure, magnesium is considered to be the lightest metal. The temperature at which magnesium alloys get forged is 500°C.
9. The grain size of steel increases with an increase in temperature.
Explanation: With an increase in the temperature, when the temperature goes above the upper critical temperature limit, the grain size of steel also begins to increase. However on forging, the grain is broken down.
10. Cold working of steel takes place at a temperature below 823°C.
Explanation: If the hammering of steel has to take place under the temperature of 723°C, then this working would be considered as cold working. By doing this, one may expect for the occurrence of small hair cracks.
To practice all areas of Forming, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.